woah, good deals - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
woah, good deals

there is a guy in san diago who is selling his 55 gallon aquarium for 50 bucks! Granted it doesnt have a stand or any other equipment but do you think this is a deal I should jump on? Right now I have a 28 gallon tank that I probably spent 150 bucks on with the stand and whatnot.

There's also this guy who is selling his 55 gallon for a good deal as well, if anyone's interested

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/555311204.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I would hold out for a 75 gallon, that extra 6" of width is extremely useful visually. My old 25 gallon was basically half a 55, it was a bit too claustrophobic front to back given its height.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, you're right. Now that I think about it I don't have the money for it anyways.

Here's the listing for the $50 one.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/553798864.html

curse you potential better deals and lack of money. Curse you.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Around here a couple lfs usually have a $1/g sale on fish tanks up to 75g... I got my 75g for $75. So buying one used for that price doesnt sound all that good unless its coming with some equipment.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't have any LFS that offer as good a deal as cl's, but used, I usually use a buck a gallon to be a good rule of thumb. If you are on the lookout, you'll be amazed at how many small to medium-sized tanks you find cheaper than that or even free.

I have a 55 that I got simply because my neighbor wanted to get rid of it. Looking back at it, it wasn't that great a deal, because I'd rather have a 75 or 90.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I got a 2x55W hood, a 55g and a stand for 50. However, the stand was kinda ugly, and the 55g had no center brace. So, I sold those (basically for free, really), and got a 55g, a nicer stand, an Emperor 400, and a powerhead for 75.

Keep in mind that I have now spent way more than that on plants, pressurized CO2, and lighting (AH supply kits), so this is just anecdotal, if anything.

Sometimes, you find good stuff on craigslist. Othertimes, you get a leaky tank (make sure to have them fill it, just got a bum 20L). And finally, you get ridiculous offers. Like the guy who wanted to sell me his 10g setup for 150 dollars, clown puke and all.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
I would hold out for a 75 gallon, that extra 6" of width is extremely useful visually. My old 25 gallon was basically half a 55, it was a bit too claustrophobic front to back given its height.
I agree. I bought a 50 gallon off Craigslist last year. After getting all the gear and setting it up, I realized how hard it was to scape the way I wanted to because of the short depth. Last night, I bought a 75 gallon tank and stand from Craigslist. I am looking forward to having the extra room for scaping.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Dang cah925! How many tanks now? 6? Sweet
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Dang cah925! How many tanks now? 6? Sweet
Yeah, but I'm going to tear down the 10 gallon and add the contents to the 75. Once I clean the 50 gal, I'll move the turtle in. But then, I'll have his old tank laying around. It's one of those 30 gal long with half a side cut out for a filter. I was considering making this into a paludarium, but it may have to wait for additional funding.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
why do ppl have so many tanks? I only have one and thats why it has the best equipment available. Im gonna sale my 65 gallon tank one day for a 90 one
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleekdafish View Post
why do ppl have so many tanks? I only have one and thats why it has the best equipment available. Im gonna sale my 65 gallon tank one day for a 90 one
Probably since many ppl here like aquariums... this is an aquarium forum after all . Many fish cannot be housed together. I for one am a big proponent of just having one or two larger tanks... you can dedicate more time to fewer things and I really think the one larger tank is more impressive than 4 smaller ones of the same total gallonage. But most start out small and work up, so they have lots of tanks and keep em running, and of course what I said about different types of fish not being compatable.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
To be honest, I wouldn't buy any aquarium less than 75 gallons, or if it is a bowfront or ADA/Elos or something custom.

People are always getting rid of fish tanks, since they pretty much last forever. I have a 45g I got for free, and my 55g was free as well. I also have my 10g, which Is around 10+ years old from when I was like 4 years old. I might be buying a new tank to replace that because the glass is flexing but If you keep your ears and eyes open, tanks are usually easily gotten for free.

Now on the other hand, filters lights and other stuff usually has to be bought.

-Andrew
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

On a side note, how do you search the forums here? I type lighting and beginner, and all I get is discussions on substrate (exaggeration). Any tips? I remember seeing something about using google and typing site: and something but I can't find it again.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareardy View Post
On a side note, how do you search the forums here? I type lighting and beginner, and all I get is discussions on substrate (exaggeration). Any tips? I remember seeing something about using google and typing site: and something but I can't find it again.
You have to be more specific than "lighting". I usually search title-only as it would be more specific.

As for good deals, I'm always looking for new tanks, just need a place to put them. My goal is in 10 years, to have my own place, and a really big display tank + fish room for both SW/FW.

I agree that bigger tanks are the way to go. In general, I find them to be actually less maintenance than smaller tanks as they are more stable.

However, only downside is that equipment gets more expensive as you need bigger filters, more lights, more gravel, bigger heater, etc. But if you are patient there are always good deals.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The way to search on google is this:

Say you're looking for lighting and beginner.
Type this into google:
beginner lighting site:www.plantedtank.net
[search terms] site:[website url]

This is a good way to go about searching for terms too short to be used, such as EI, or CO2. However, you probably want to be more specific, as mentioned above. If you are looking for beginner guides, please take a minute and read through these 2 sites:

http://www.rexgrigg.com
http://www.barrreport.com/you-new-aq...ts-start-here/

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode