How to break a freakin' hard rock? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
How to break a freakin' hard rock?

I found this 17 lb geode rock at the landscaping store that looked pretty cool but is pretty big...

I tried dropping it, smashing it with a sledge hammer but nothing but a little dent and sparks.. It's one freakn' hard rock. It doesn't look like elbow grease is going to do it.. It'll need some brains.

Any suggestions on how to split this thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Hit it harder with a bigger sledge. Maybe a large chisel and sledge. Might be hard to find someone willing to hold the chisel.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are the dimensions? Or at least the general shape? That matters more than the weight. A round rock is a heck of a lot harder to break than a thin flat rock.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Just don't throw it down into your sidewalk... I cracked a big 18" square paver block in half trying to reduce the size of a piece of slate. I had no idea it was actually that hard. Same goes for sledging it, of course, hehe.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to footbeat Send a message via Yahoo to footbeat
Drill a line of holes with a carbide tipped drill bit. Put "feathers and wedges" into the holes. They are shims with a wedge between them. Hit the wedges one at a time. The feathers will force the rock apart, and you will get a nice clean split, and it will split where you want it to.

Eheim pimp Club Member #65
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
hit it with another rock?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Maybe heat it (REALLY hot) and try the sledgehammer again

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by footbeat View Post
Drill a line of holes with a carbide tipped drill bit. Put "feathers and wedges" into the holes. They are shims with a wedge between them. Hit the wedges one at a time. The feathers will force the rock apart, and you will get a nice clean split, and it will split where you want it to.
Well said, but a carbide bit is not something someone always has laying around and this is also a bit labor intensive. But great thought!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You have any kind of tongs that will pick up something that big? Build a fire and toss it in for a couple of hours, and when it's really hot, drop it in really cold water. Watch out, though, might blow up.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

out of curiosity what makes you believe it a geode? if it is a geode find a seam where the Qtz is poking through and drive a chisel in to it and hit it as hard as you can. or you could do what i have done in the past and rent a wet demo saw from your local equipment company. this will provide a nice strait line as long as you can cut a strait line. if this rock is of Utah ,Arizona Montana or New Mexico in origin this will work if the geode is a Brazilian these geodes normally require a oil based wet saw that cuts incredibly slow due to there density
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Look in your phone book yellow pages for a business that creates Grave markers or Monuments for cemeterys, and give them a call. I'm sure they can help.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by footbeat View Post
this man has got brains ^^^^^^^

it's a round geode the size of a football. I know it's a geode because it came from the 'florida geode' bin. The outter shell looks like a metamorphic rock, not like the typical silica.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool geodes are great i collect them when ever i go out west on vacation. i didn't know Florida had geodes being that nearly the entire state is lime stone or sand i wasn't aware there were any metamorphic close the surface. i relay hope its a geode and not a concretion. just a side note if u try the carbide drill bit check the hardness of carbide be cause i know Qtz is seven

i just did a quick look up of Florida geodes there agatized corals or Qtz covered corals. at lest according to the quick search i did
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Take a walk around some construction site and ask the guy with the jackhammer for a favor. Bring a sandwich

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode