Water color - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water color

Hey, I just recently added water to my 30G tank and was looking forward to starting my first planted aquarium. But when I added the water for the last two days it's had this yellow brown tint to it and it hasn't really gone away. The water tests I've done so far say its a neutral pH and the water is really hard in both gH and kH. Nitrates and ammonia are almost non existent.

The substrate I'm using is just gravel and sand that I found in a riverbed close to my house. It's been dry for months and I washed it about 10-15 times with water before I put it in the tank. Any Ideas? It's almost a rust color.

Last edited by Jareardy; 01-29-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Do you have driftwood in the tank? If so its tannins leaking out of them which most fish actually like. Also lowers the ph slightly.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

you nailed it I have a large piece of driftwood that I found too. So thats probably whats causing it then, thanks a lot. And the tannins wont effect fish or plants in the tank?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
tannins are harmless. some people actually like the tannins as it gives the black water look that amazon fish feel at home in. but its a matter of preference. Just do large water changes over the next two weeks with some carbon in your filter and you should be good to go. I sure hope you scrubbed and boiled that wood before you put it in your tank though. If not, it's probably teaming with organisms you probably don't want in your tank
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
It'll lower your PH, get some purigen in your filter it'll give you crystal clear water.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
As an alternative to carbon, I've found that Purigen works really well to remove tannin staining.

Ahha, the ninja!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tannins may be harmless to fish, but they will affect light penetration to plants

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
tannins are harmless. some people actually like the tannins as it gives the black water look that amazon fish feel at home in. but its a matter of preference. Just do large water changes over the next two weeks with some carbon in your filter and you should be good to go. I sure hope you scrubbed and boiled that wood before you put it in your tank though. If not, it's probably teaming with organisms you probably don't want in your tank
No, no I didn't.....Is it too late now that its been in the water for 2 days?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Jareardy, after reading all the posts on here about leeches and insect larvae in people's tanks, I don't think I'll ever add anything from a natural body of water into my tank unless it's been boiled first, or at very least put in a bucket for serious observation for a week. I once had a run in with an inch long fat little "worm" in my tank that came in with my plants or snails (who knows) and I'm still shaken.

I'd take it out and boil it, but I'm pretty paranoid about such things.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd like to boil it but this thing is like 2 1/2 ft long. ...Maybe I can just set my tank on the oven But seriously it was completely dry when I found it so I wouldn't think any of the parasites could live outside of water for that long....cue eery music
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Put it in the bath tub and keep putting hot water in it and add some boiling water to it. Soon as it cools down repeat a few times.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you're ok with tannins but just want to sterilize it, put it in the oven and bake at 250 or so for several hours. Soaking will take care of tannins, but it could be weeks in the tub. Might as well soak it in your tank after you sterilize it.

O, I'd throw that substrate in the oven too if I were concerned about too much nature in the tank.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

I'll throw in another vote for purigen. I dont mind slight discoloration, gives it a natural look, but even after pre-soaking my driftwood my water was really dark, looked like some strong steeped tea, lol. Less then a day with purigen in the filter and it was crystal clear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode