Adding plants during a cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding plants during a cycle

I am about ready to fill up my new 54 gallon tank. I have the background in, the substrate ready to go in. Filter, heater, everything. I only have a little bit of mature filter media to borrow, so I'm going to try Dr. Tim's One and Only for the cycle.

I only have a few of my plants. I haven't ordered the rest yet due to freezing conditions. My plants should arrive next week Friday (the 28th). Any reason to wait until then to start the fishless cycle? I know it's obviously easier to put plants in an empty tank, but I can drain it.

My thoughts: I've read a lot of varying opinions from you don't have to cycle a planted tank to you shouldn't fishless cycle a planted tank, etc. Because then the plants and bacteria are competing for resources, etc. I don't think my tank will be heavily planted, but I think maybe on the high side of moderately planted. I know plants absorb some ammonia and may compete with the bacteria for that. But I figure if the bacteria have a week to establish and then I put the plants in, the plants will take what they need and the bacteria may die back a little bit, but it won't matter because the plants are handling the ammonia instead. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As for myself I plant right after putting the water in. Plants will help the cycle establish itself. There are bacteria living on them too. I would plant right away.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A tank needs a nitrogen cycle in order to keep fish in it without harming them.
A tank which has been planted over a period of time likely has gone through a cycle already as the plants carry those bacteria on them. Bt under no circomstances would I just add a lot of plants and just behind that add fish.
That having been said, I don't think it makes any difference to the plants if you add them while your cycling the tank. But try to remember that the Beneficial Bacteria NEED ammonia to live. So add the fish as soon as you know the cycle is done.
Just do at lest a 50% water change before you add them to get those nitrates down lower than a 20. The percent you change brings down the nitrates at that same percent. So if the nitrate is at 40 a 75% water change is called for to get it to
a 10.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I definitely wasn't planning on adding fish right after I planted - just wasn't sure if I should wait to start the cycle until I have plants. Fish will come after the cycle is 100% completed. I have ammonia drops to use. I've cycled 3 tanks, but I've never had one as heavily planted as this one will be.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I always plant before filling the tank, with just enough water to make the substrate moist. Much easier that way; Amano does it.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Go for it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode