ADA Reef's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
ADA Reef's

Hello, I noticed ADA is starting into the world of marines, does anyone have any good photographs of any Amano reefs?
I'm interested to see how he copes with the lurid colours and the problems associated with reef scaping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Seems behind on that.

Folks here and elsewhere have long forgotten planted tanks and went straight to reefs. Many reef shops here, very few plant shops.

ADA does seem to use marine plants, so they are scum anyway until they do
Nor do they allow marine plants in their scaping contest, much like most FW centric contest.

If it's a "plant" contest, then plants, or large macrophytic algae should be included.

Just because you lack the knowledge and skill to grow Cymopolia and someone else can grow it wonderfully, is no excuse.
An Expert FW plant person might be able to grow Tonia well, but a newbie might not. Just because you have not kept or seen something done before, does not mean it should be excluded or conformed to your set of norms.

It's still an aquarium, and it's still a large leafy green/red thing.

Trying to represent the reef to a terrestrial scene is a bit at odds.
Most want to represent a reef, not a terrestrrial system or garden.

So that is their inspiration, diving really hits that home.
There are few terrestrial counter parts.

Try to fine one like this:

However, it can be done and can be done well, as well as using primarily green marine plants or macrophytes.

Here's what I did with 43 species of marine plants:
I'd challenge someone to recreate this:

BTW, I showed this to Amano and his cohort.

They where very surprised to learn that this was nothing but algae and plants, not one coral here:

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i am againts any reef tank because i know how they collect corals and damage the environment. i've seen the damage done here only in a short few years. it's probably ok if it's a marine algae tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Being against any reef tank is a bit... strong, isn't it? There are plenty of captive bred corals and SW fish available. So many of our fresh water fish and plants also come from native waters. You might as well be against all aquaria in general.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
There are some people on this forum that sell coral frags from their own personal tanks...You can definitely grow your own. The problem is that the ones that are difficult to propagate would be wild collected.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
well i think we must admit that most of the corals are collected from the wild. if there's less reef tank, less buy, less corals collected from the sea right? i am not against all aquaria, i'm just againts reef tanks. as in fw fish i try to buy the one that came from farms.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 AM

most of the coral now is aquacultured(farm grown, captive bred). Coral is like plant, you can frag them and they grow. Most of the coral collect from ocean has hard time to adapt in tanks environment. that is why most of reefer considered aquacultured (stable color, hardy because they already adapted in-tank environment)
BTW I would like to see reef version of ADA
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Algae Grower

In most cases its better for the environment to by wild caught stuff than farmed. And that goes for coral as well.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen you say that before, and it still doesn't make any sense to me, how can it be better for the environment to plunder it?

Coolpix hit what I was getting at, when I was planning to setup a nano reef all of the corals and fish I was considering were available captive bred. It is not difficult to significantly reduce one's impact on the natural ecosystems these animals originate from.

Drifting off topic, it just sort of reminds me of those types that go around shouting that meat is murder while wearing leather shoes. ;-)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In some cases, it may be better to buy wild than farmed. There are certain species of fish in freshwater aquaria that are plentiful enough to be wild caught and not have any significant impact, where a commercial fish farm might produce large amounts of waste that are dumped back into the water supply. If you want one of the rarer (read: more difficult to grow) corals, then this is probably not the case.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish farm waste was not something I considered, I'm not particularly familiar with how they would typically operate. With that in mind I can accept the phrasing "in some cases," but still not "most cases."
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Guys, please, don't post pics of amano reefs. Cause, you know, that is just what I need. Another shiny glass cube where my wallet disappears.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Guys, please, don't post pics of amano reefs. Cause, you know, that is just what I need. Another shiny glass cube where my wallet disappears.
Me + reefs = poor.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Some good pics of Japanese style reefs here:

http://www.islaescondido.com

The author's tank is amazing.

One of the posts has some ADA tank pics.

Charlie

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
I've seen you say that before, and it still doesn't make any sense to me, how can it be better for the environment to plunder it?

Drifting off topic, it just sort of reminds me of those types that go around shouting that meat is murder while wearing leather shoes. ;-)
Ill start a thread about it this weekend, when I have more time. There's more to it than fish farms producing waste, that's just one small factor.

By the way I like to murder me some meat so dont you worry bout that

Back on toppic check out this blog http://invincible569.squarespace.com...currentPage=10

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode