Low light tank and blyxa japonica? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low light tank and blyxa japonica?

HEy guys,

I setup myself a 21 gallon rimless tank, running a sponge filter and 2x18 6700 lighting t5 coralife. Anyways my plan is to do a piece of driftwood in the middle with a java fern on top and java moss on the driftwood, but the rest of the substrate will be covered by Blyxa japonica... do you guys think that the B. Japonica will do ok with that lighting. I know it's more of a moderate type lighting plant but i'm running 1.7 wpg... it's going to be a shrimp tank i think this would be a great aquascape for them. Growth will be pretty slow which is ok cause i want it to be low tech low light.. i just want to know that the plants wont just die. I suppose i'm just asking for oppinions from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
You will see good results with those t5 lights and your plant choice. I have a number of shrimp tanks with 3WPG T5 and Blyxa grows well. With low light it may grow tall and thin, higher light would be better. Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hmmm. I think your light might be ok, but here is the real question, do you have CO2? Dosing ferts? (I think ferts would almost be essential). What kind of substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Well i'm using Florabase substrate, the idea behind it is is no water changes, and the fish poop would ultimately be the fertilzer for the plants, depending on how well the plants grow i will make the decision to do small dosings of ei, nothing extravagent though.. aswell will dose weekly with trace. No co2 would be added , eventually plants will create enzymes to combat that no co2 injection.. it's low light, low tech, so.. no co2 injection. I guess i could just give it a go and see how it works, i was just wanting to see if others tried it before..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have growing in a 2.5 gallon betta tank with 30 watts of screw in CLF 6500k. I have no reflector the inside of the light is just plain white.

Planted in plain gravel with seachem root tabs.

Dosed daily using seachems flourish line using a modified version of their dosing schedule.

The newer growth is doing better than what was there when I received them. They are rooting fine and seem to be settling in. I have only have them in there for about a month so time will tell.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
IME, my Blyxa japonica withered away & died under lower light with dosing & CO2 (Fluorite substrate & hard water). YMMV

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
IME, my Blyxa japonica withered away & died under lower light with dosing & CO2 (Fluorite substrate & hard water). YMMV
Same here. Also, I had this happen when it was shaded (less light). It was planted in Aquasoil.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Well 36 watts is a bit low, but the depth of the tank has to be considered here. thats why I said it might be ok. Not going to get it Red veined, and you may get stringy leggy growth.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
When my Blyxa has low light all their leaves fall off. I think light plays a big part in blyxa.

One month in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Well i guess the worst thing that will happen is i will see them die, that's the only thing left to really do. Test it myself right

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode