Wet/Dry for a Planted Tank??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wet/Dry for a Planted Tank???

I've decided to start up a planted tank with my newly acquired 115 gallon aquarium that was given to me. It came with a wet/dry filter that was used when it was a marine tank. I know that the wet dry filter oxygenates the water rather heavily and I am wondering if I should just bag it and get a Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter w/ Bio-wheel or set up a Co2 system to replenish the Co2. Has anyone tried this and what do you think will work best for my situation? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What do you plan to keep?
High-light? Low-light?
CO2?
Budget?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
You could just cover the wet/dry with a cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Please explain in detail "cover" as I have a 72bow wth a built in corner overflow, was thinking about "greening" it but have the same questions......and new to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post

Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Why didn't anyone tell me this 4 months ago.

I will assume that making the filter somewhat air tight will reduce CO2 loss and O2 saturation.

I don't see a sump/overflow providing too much O2 unless you put in bioballs or some other media to disturb the water.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I haven't used one myself but I've read posts on here where they just covered the sump with a tight fitting lid or plastic (saran wrap etc.) with good results. I think they may have ditched the bio-balls as well.

Try the search function perhaps for covering a sump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph50 View Post
Why didn't anyone tell me this 4 months ago.

I will assume that making the filter somewhat air tight will reduce CO2 loss and O2 saturation.

I don't see a sump/overflow providing too much O2 unless you put in bioballs or some other media to disturb the water.
Not sure what you filter looks like, but anything should work. Doesn't need to be 100% airtight, but the more the better.

Like you said, minimize disturbance, especially something like a trickle filter.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:28 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I also have a 72 Bow Front with an overflow. I love having the sump. It does outgas more CO2, so you'll have to increase your CO2 injection rate which will cost you more (I think I pay somewhere south of $5 a month in CO2 to keep my tank at 30 ppm). The sump will also oxygenate the water, but that is also a good thing if you have any fish. Oxygen and CO2 levels are not inversely proportional, so you can have high oxygen and CO2 at the same time.

I also like having the sump for dosing ferts, Excel, meds or whatever. Additionally with the sump, I tee'd off the return so I have two jets, one on each side of the overflow. This greatly increases my circulation within the tank.

For the sump itself, I used a 10 gallon tank and siliconed some acrylic baffels into it. Then insert the media of your choice and you have your 2nd filter. It's also more convenient than breaking open the Eheim for when I want to add temporary filter media like charcoal or whatever.

My .02 worth...

-Scott
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow thanks guys. I probably will try both- keeping the wet/dry and sealing it and go with a Co2 saturation system. I am already planning to build a Co2 system with a bunch of my paintball gear (regulators, Co2 tanks, etc...) It's all pretty much the same stuff they sell in an online pet store just smaller and cheaper.

Thanks for helping out a newb.

BB
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd suggest looking for a larger CO2 tank like 10 lbs or more, a paintball cylinder isnt going to last long on a tank over 100 gal. Even on nano tanks they are usually only used if its a space issue. But if you already have most the gear you would be saving costs up front. But especially with a wet dry... I am not even sure if a 20 oz tank would last a couple weeks... How big is your cylinder?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy loaches View Post
I'd suggest looking for a larger CO2 tank like 10 lbs or more, a paintball cylinder isnt going to last long on a tank over 100 gal. Even on nano tanks they are usually only used if its a space issue. But if you already have most the gear you would be saving costs up front. But especially with a wet dry... I am not even sure if a 20 oz tank would last a couple weeks... How big is your cylinder?
Yea, I concur. You are not going to get far with those little tanks. The intital investment does stink a bit, but if you shop around and do alot of research you can walk away with a brand new setup for less then $200.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking more along the lines of 4 or 5 20 oz tanks beneath my stand but if what you say is true (that it wont last long) I have a Co2 tank that fills other Co2 tanks but it stands about 4 or 5 feet tall and would not look very attractive in my den. If I did go that root does it matter if it has a siphon and if so do I need an expansion chamber to make up for it? Though I suppose I could just use it to fill my small ones but that might be too much maintenance huh?

BB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode