Help with LED power supply, I dont wanna blow up! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with LED power supply, I dont wanna blow up!

Here is what I have so far for the led build.

5630 LEDs
Working Voltage: DC 12V
wattage: Max 14.4 w per meter
14.4watts X 5 Meters = 72 watts tottal.

DC 12V adapter power supply 5.5mm Male jack and 2.1mm Female pigtail.
Max Current 20amps
Voltage 1v - 38v

Mini inline LED Dimmer
Voltage DC 12V
Max output current 144watts.

Now, can anyone assist me with the power supply, I need a laptop type of supply, the 3 prong plug ones.

Only thing I am not 110% sure about is how many amps I require tottal and not blow the fuse... My fuse box has 15amp fuses...__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by boxboy; 03-20-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those LEDs on a tape are easy to provide power to. Just use a 12 volt DC adapter that will supply at least 6 amps at 12 volts. You seem to have that. Connect the positive wire from the DC adapter to the positive connection for the tape of LEDs, and the negative wire to the negative connection. If you cut the 5 meter roll of tape into short sections, be sure to only cut where it says you can. Then connect the cut ends together positive to positive and negative to negative. If you use the full 5 meters or even close to the full 5 meters, also connect the DC adapter to the other end of the tape, again, positive to positive and negative to negative. Otherwise, there is too much voltage drop over the full length of the tape for the LEDs at the end to light fully. Here is how I did it: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=545113

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Those LEDs on a tape are easy to provide power to. Just use a 12 volt DC adapter that will supply at least 6 amps at 12 volts. You seem to have that. Connect the positive wire from the DC adapter to the positive connection for the tape of LEDs, and the negative wire to the negative connection. If you cut the 5 meter roll of tape into short sections, be sure to only cut where it says you can. Then connect the cut ends together positive to positive and negative to negative. If you use the full 5 meters or even close to the full 5 meters, also connect the DC adapter to the other end of the tape, again, positive to positive and negative to negative. Otherwise, there is too much voltage drop over the full length of the tape for the LEDs at the end to light fully. Here is how I did it: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=545113
Thanks Hoppy...
Yup I plan to cut the roll into smaller strips, but because of the voltage drop, Im thinking it may be better to power each strip on its own? Via this ---> http://www.evertechusa.com/en/8-ev-d...a-adapter.html

This was I still have 1 power supply, but each led strip is getting the same amount of juice ... Basicly reducing the voltage drop...

Here is what im using and how I plan to connect the Led:

5630LED strip + 2pin, smd conector + mini inline dimmer+ Male 5.1mm jack+ female 2.1mm jack from the Power supply... Each strip built like this... I know its a pain to visualise when there are no photos lol

Last edited by boxboy; 03-20-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

LEDs connected to this:

Cut one side off, in order to connect:

Then connect:

Then plug this into:

which is pluged into the power supply.

Last edited by boxboy; 03-20-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That will work fine. You will be supplying each short strip with 12 volts DC, with all of the strips wired in parallel, which is what you need to do.

Hoppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That will work fine. You will be supplying each short strip with 12 volts DC, with all of the strips wired in parallel, which is what you need to do.
Thanks Im planing to get an 8amp power source, just because I may add more things to it later lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode