Suggestions for Set-up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for Set-up

So, this being my 20th year in the hobby, I have been thinking about setting up a new tank as a celebratory event... luckily, I have two empty (both brand new!) at the moment.

I've been investigating setting up a planted tank... I haven't done a full-blown planted tank yet (I had pretty decent success with a half planted one...), and I think it'll be a nice challenge.

The tank I plan on using is a 40-gallon Breeder (36''x18''x16''). Seems like a good size.

I have Fluorite that I purchased awhile back, that I'd like to use as substrate mixed with some small gravel I have (50/50). I am looking at a Coralife Power Compact hood with two 65-watt bulbs (3.25 wpg). From reading on this site, pressurized CO2 is the way to go... plus, I have an RO unit for my SA cichlids. Of course, I'd dose with fertilizers, as well.

The only thing I'm thinking about is stocking (flora and fauna)... I'm thinking a regional tank would be nice... I have some ideas, but nothing set in stone. If you'd like to hear those or if those ideas are crucial to your answers, I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you.

What am I missing?

Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Algae Grower

I would go with an amazon blackwater setup, the fish are amazing just think of a school of 10-15angel or 4-6 discus in a well planted stalky settup
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

Plant with some camomba and Black Amazom Swords use a moss of any kind and hope for breeders

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
I would go with an amazon blackwater setup, the fish are amazing just think of a school of 10-15angel or 4-6 discus in a well planted stalky settup
Ryan G, as near as I can figure, you have joined this forum within the last 24 hours. And so far, you have bashed the photography competition, suggested some guy keep nurse sharks in a home aquarium, and now you're suggesting someone put 15 angelfish or 6 discus in a 40 gallon breeder???

As to the original post, a 40 breeder is a great size. I like taller tanks, but it has a great footprint. If you have an RO unit, then SA dwarf cichlids are a great way to go. There are some really beautiful species in the Apistogramma genus, as well as the Laetacara genus and a few others.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

Im sorry that Im new to the forum would it be better if I didnt offer any ideas When did I say anything at all about nurse sharks?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

CANOE the nurse shark reference you are talking about was posted by CLEEKDAFISH in a 600gal setup thread if youre gonna trash me at least do your homework and trash me for what I said. I said that I would go reef with it. thanks for keeping me in mind tho. before you judge go back and read my post on the photo contest bit of a misunderstanding.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have to agree. Suggesting what you did for a 40gal breeder tank is asinine. Either you are completely misinformed or have no idea of what you are suggesting. Or both.

Quote:

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
CANOE the nurse shark reference you are talking about was posted by CLEEKDAFISH in a 600gal setup thread if youre gonna trash me at least do your homework and trash me for what I said. I said that I would go reef with it. thanks for keeping me in mind tho. before you judge go back and read my post on the photo contest bit of a misunderstanding.
My bad. Right thread, wrong post.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
In any case, a 40 gal shouldn't have more than 4 angelfish or discus, and I would recommend against doing that anyway.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty set on the cichlids, currently... I have multiple tanks with those. I was thinking about moving my Laetacara dorsigera to the new tank, but that's if I decide on a SA tank. They are among the only cichlids I'm considering, along with Apistogramma and Mikrogeophagus... not all together, of course. If I go this route, the L. dorsigera would likely move, since I already have them, and know they're doing fine.

If I went with an African tank, I'd probably do some Synodontis nigriventris (upside-down cats) with something like Pantodon buchholzi (African butterflyfish) and Ctenopoma acutirostre (Leopard bushfish).

Another possibility would be small gouramis (like Colisa chuna, C. lalia, or Trichopsis pumila) with something like Puntius nigrofasciatus (black ruby barbs) or Rasbora heteromorpha (harlequin rasbora). I suppose killifish could be an alternative.

The third possibiliy would be the tank with a pair of the dwarf cichlids I mentioned earlier, along with some tetras and possibly Corydoras.

A last idea would be a tank consisting of a bunch of livebearers...

... or I could scrap the whole thing, and try a FOWLR set-up with small marine fish.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7oneal View Post

... or I could scrap the whole thing, and try a FOWLR set-up with small marine fish.
My 18 year old did this with a 20 L and a snowflake morrey eel. He loves this eel. It has calmed way down and now is calmly feeding from his hand.. His eel looks exactly like the one in this video. ( This is not his fish )

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
Cant wait to see pics when you do decide and get it all setup!!! Best of luck, its always exciting setting up a new tank. Sometimes I cant sleep at night thinking about a new tank design.... ooo the options tehehe

My 29 gallon planted:
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I know. Every new tank I set up is a big deal, but this one is driving me bananas... I bought the tank in September.

I've had the snowflake eels before, and they are one of my favorites... the next time I have one, I'm locking the lid down and duct taping the rest to keep the thing in the tank.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to BTDarters
a7oneal,

Have you thought about a North American Native Fishes tank? A lot of our native fishes rival tropicals in color and most definitely win in the personality department. But..just to prove to you how spectacular some of our natives can be, please see my picture of a Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum) below. This was a fish that I caught in my area and photographed. He is about 3 inches in length.

Brian
Attached Images

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters -
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Some of those native fish are pretty awesome, much to my surprise.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode