Windowsill HC Experiment (Update/New location) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Windowsill HC Experiment (Update/New location)

I’m by no means an expert, but I wanted to grow some emersed Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Tom Barr’s post encouraged me to try 4 different substrates to see how good/bad the HC grows with each one and sunlight.

I bought 4 rectangular plastic containers of 5” l x 3.5” w x 1 ¾” h, cut the lid and put a piece of transparent plastic (just cut some ziplock bags) to keep humidity in check and permits sunlight to be more effective.

These are the contents of each container:

1.- Regular Fluorite
2.- Miracle Gro Sticks (I cut 1 in little pieces)
3.- Black Soil ( Pot Soil )
4.- Mix .- The same mixture I’m currently using in other emersed setup (Coconut fiber, peat moss, Sera Super Peat, Vermiculite, Osmocote and Perlite)

I added a fifth container with the number 4 mix, it’s a Ferrero Rocher’s 16 pieces pack.

All were topped with regular fine grain gravel.

They are in my office’s windowsill where they can receive good sunlight. As they are in the outer side of the windowsill, they can’t be seen unless you are courious, lol.

I’m a bit doubtful about the containers’ depth… Do you think they are too shallow ? I’m concerned about the heat but we’ll see what happens, if I notice the heat affects the plants I’d buy some deeper ones.

Well, here are the pics, I will be updating this message. I hope it doesn’t take ages for the Cuba to grow. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know how could I’ve done the HC planting without these great tweezers, they are not the fancy ADA’s but they are very useful (an a lot cheaper) lol.

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics

On Edit... Spelling

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Guillermo; 02-12-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 AM

very cool! thanks for doing this. This is a n00b question, but what HC did you start with?

Can i take HC out of my tank (already submerged) and grow like this? It isnt doing well in my tank, and i've been wanting to get it out of the tank until its a little healthier.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Rad, thanks for your comments.

The HC came from a R.A.O.K. of a friend of mine, it was submersed, I don't know if it is going to grow well, I'm concerned about the heat, the containers receive 4 direct sunlight hours. Time will tell. I have another container on top of my emersed plant setup, it's doing fine, but very very slow growing, it's taking forever to grow, this is in indirect sunlight, as soon as I can I will submit a pic of it.

Good Luck !

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
This is a great thread you got started here. After Tom started that thread about growing it that way everyone one wants to know and even more see how it turns out. I for one am looking forward to seeing how each and every one of them turn out. I have a question about it though do you plan on useing any extra ferts or excel with it? And if so how much and how often do you plan on doing it. Thanks from everyone out here that wants to see how this turns out. Like they say the proof is in the pictures and you will have that very soon.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Madfish, thanks for the input. Yep, Mr. Barr's HC thread in contagious, lol. It would be great having some input from Tom in this post.

I was thinking about just spraying some tap water due to evaporation, but I can pour some Seachem's Potassium and Excel in the sprayer bottle, what do you think ? I think my mix has a lot of nutrients, but the other substrates don't. My emersed tank is doing well only with the mix, the plants grow slow, but healthy to me.

Regards

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo View Post
Hi Madfish, thanks for the input. Yep, Mr. Barr's HC thread in contagious, lol. It would be great having some input from Tom in this post.

I was thinking about just spraying some tap water due to evaporation, but I can pour some Seachem's Potassium and Excel in the sprayer bottle, what do you think ? I think my mix has a lot of nutrients, but the other substrates don't. My emersed tank is doing well only with the mix, the plants grow slow, but healthy to me.

Regards
can you link me to mr. barr's hc thread?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I believe Tom Barr cautioned making certain that the Excel was well diluted if you're going to spray it on the plants. Probably want to mix up a dilution that would be similar to how you'd be diluting it in an aquarium. The thread where he outlined the method is here.

I do look forward to the results of this experiment.

Last edited by imeridian; 02-04-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: correction of spelling errors
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I hope you succeed at this... I tried at it and failed:
http://www.barrreport.com/general-pl...ting-soil.html

Maybe I'll give it another go if you have a good experience with this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much for your input guys, really appreciated you dedicated some time to read and answer this post.

Hey Rev, I hope to have a good experience with this stuff, but maybe it will grow slow.

Bad news, I was concerned with the heat for a reason... and it happened... the sun "cooked" the HC, but I'm not giving up yet, I planted new HC and put the containers on top of my emersed setup that receives indirect sunlight, I did it last Sat. Feb, 2nd. The only drawback is that this setup is in my step-parents house and I only can see/maintain it on Saturdays. I Didn´t have the camera, but I will take some pics this Saturday. I had a 2 gallon tank laying around and decided to plant it too, I put the mix. We'll see how this experiment turns out. I hope it does not dry up, fingers crossed !

Regards

Last edited by Guillermo; 02-05-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision17 View Post
I hope you succeed at this... I tried at it and failed:
http://www.barrreport.com/general-pl...ting-soil.html

Maybe I'll give it another go if you have a good experience with this.
I do very little thinking about this actually.
It's so obvious it can hurt

I just make sure that there's some air exchange, but not much, I'd pop one end of the lids on this test.

Also, you do not want the water to cover the leaves at all.

It's just a terrarium. Nothing more.
But you use sediments that can work once you fill the tank up later.
If grow out is the only concern, those simple plant seedling trays work great for any type of foreground type plant, simply keep in a warm area that gets decent partial light.

This is not rocket science, it's very simple.
So you can grow out whatever you want for the most part.
ADA soil is not expensive, nor fancy.

Cost the same as Flourite, less than EC etc.

Mud works also.

Garden soil: sand: peat at 1:1:1 ratio works well for most plants.

Water should not dry up fast, you should add water about once every few weeks.

Think terrarium, but with aquatic plants and a tank you flood later.
If all you want to test is sediments, then the little tupperware test work fine.

Make sure you do several replicates of each type of soil/sediment, do not assumne with a replicate of one, you can make any real conclusion.

It's not hard to run 5 replicates of 5 soil/sediment types, the cheapy semi disposable type of tupperware/Glad etc containers are really cheap, maybe 1.50$ for 4.
So for 10-20$ you can do it if you have the room and space near a window or if it's warm outside.

Then you can grow, or keep a small amount of HC, Hair grass, Utric, Gloss etc without much work. And if you need to grow it out well to do a larger tank, you can for peanuts and some time.

Regards,
Tom barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
I grow plants in the windowsill. Mostly hairgrass. Using aquasoil with good results.

It's easiest in summer , because of longer daylight hours. The long daylight hours makes for good growing conditions.

I have one small goblet with emersed hairgrass getting about 6-7 hours of direct sun, and it does heat up, being covered with plastic wrap to keep in the moisture, but there's a hole for the heat to escape!

Mark

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Glad to have your inputs Tom & Fred, thanks.

Quote:
I just make sure that there's some air exchange, but not much, I'd pop one end of the lids on this test.
I made 4 pin holes in each plastic cover of the containers and 1 little hole in the ferrero's, hope it will be enough. The new location is warm, I guess they will be ok (cross fingers again, lol)

Quote:
Also, you do not want the water to cover the leaves at all.
I made sure they weren't covered, I stopped filling in when the gravel got wet.

Quote:
ADA soil is not expensive, nor fancy.

Cost the same as Flourite, less than EC etc.
Unfortunately we can't get AS easily in my country, and if we do it's very expensive, about 73 U.S. dollars each bag. On the other hand I've never seen Eco Complete in this part of the world, the only commercial substrates available are Fluorite, Azoo plant grower bed and Sera Floredepot.

Tom, I appreciate you took the time to read and respond to this thread, that makes me wanting to test some glosso, e. parvula and UG (I'm already growing some L. Brasilensis in my emersed setup)

Regards

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Thank you for taking the time to post all of this, this is a very interesting thread. I took your idea and cut holes in the lids of the containers I'm using to hold on the plastic wrap on. that works really well

I'm currently trying HC, Glosso and Crypt. Pygmae. I set up the HC on 1/28/08 and it seems to be doing really well. Interestingly, I've got 2 containers filled and one is doing a lot better than the other. This lends credance to Tom's point about repeating the experiment a few times to get predictable, repeatable results. I'm starting to wonder if one of the containers didn't get "cooked." I only set up the glosso and the crypts 2 nights ago, so I can't say if it's a success yet. The glosso hasn't died, but it hasn't taken off yet either. Same with the crypts...

Please let us know what you find!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to post all of this, this is a very interesting thread.
Quote:
Please let us know what you find!
Thank you pweifan for reading, posting and trying these Tom's "trial" too, lol.

I hope your plants turn out well. Be sure I will update this thread as soon as something is worth posting.

Regards

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As I said before, the first try failed due to the sun “cooked” the HC, I replanted the containers and put them on top of my emersed setup. I added a glass cube I had laying around. The new location is in indirect sunlight, the first week was good, no harmed HC. I put the containers on Feb, 2nd, and took the following pics on Feb, 9th.

New Location :

I made 4 little holes on the plastic of each container, for gas interchange.

And this hole in the ferrero’s

Glass cube added to the experiment.

I have been testing the following container for 3 months with my mix, it’s taking forever to grow, lol.

It had just a few HC in the beginning, like this:

And now :

Thanks for looking

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode