Paying for things - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paying for things

Anyone else feel like your pants (And by pants I mean underwear!) are being pulled down when your paying money, more often then not a large sum of money, for wood and rocks that people have probably just found somewhere haha?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Um, no. There are in many things multiple ways to go and paying for convenience and easy choice will often be one of those ways. People take time and money to collect and ship stuff. Restaurants charge you 4x the value of the food just to sit there and eat it. This is the way things work, and you always can opt out and DIY.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
Anyone else feel like your pants (And by pants I mean underwear!) are being pulled down when your paying money, more often then not a large sum of money, for wood and rocks that people have probably just found somewhere haha?
Uh, NO! But I do sometimes get really p.o.'d at folks who complain about not being able to find wood and still complain about the price. I live in an area where wood and rocks are all over the ground but there are some who frown when I go get it and ask them $5 for an afternoon of searching.
Others love the service so I guess it takes all sorts!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I don't think any one will agree with this. people that gather these thing don't have to spend time and money on gas doing anything for other people especially ungrateful people. If it weren't for them doing this just think of the limits you would have on stuff. If you order pieces online you cant even pick and choose. They jus send you something and you have to like it. I would much rather Support members on this forum then some company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nope, not at all. The person selling the item invested "sweat equity" in collecting the items in which they are selling. They ultimately decide on what they think is a fair value for the time invested in collecting the items. That is wealth creation. Raw materials + time = product.

Now on your end, you can choose if your income "sweat equity" is worth the value placed on someone else "sweat equity" if so, make a transaction, if not look for someone selling a like item that meets your perceived value.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On driftwood, yes.

On other stuff, not really. Actually, QUITE the opposite, compared to saltwater prices.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah on ADA stuff.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If I felt right about selling rocks and sticks for large sums I would do it too. Sure people go and collect the stuff but really some of the asking prices are just ridiculous.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
I drive 40 minutes to my property in this.

Then I climb a big mountain to get to the layers of rocks carry back down 50 or so pounds at a time till I give up. Then I buy acid at 2.50 a gallon from my work. Then I treat said rock with acid. Wash it, dry it, weight it out in good looking groups, take photos of it, list it. For a $1.50 just because. : P

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
Driftwood is a hell of a lot cheaper buying it local than taking a trip to malaysia, getting ill, paying customs and getting home. It's simply a convenience charge. I like to get paid for my time, and they have to ship it, someone else has to receive and distribute.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with all the others. There is a cost for collection etc.

That said cost does not always equal production cost + profit margin. Say I need $10/hr. Said rock cost me $5 to find and ship. If it takes me one hour to find it, list it, ship it etc that's $15. If others are charging $50 for the same rock and getting it should I charge $15? Sometimes price = costs + required profit + Why should I lose out?. Welcome to the real world.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fair views from everyone! I just thought 20-50 was a bit steep for a bit of old wood that's all.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I agree with all the others. There is a cost for collection etc.

That said cost does not always equal production cost + profit margin. Say I need $10/hr. Said rock cost me $5 to find and ship. If it takes me one hour to find it, list it, ship it etc that's $15. If others are charging $50 for the same rock and getting it should I charge $15? Sometimes price = costs + required profit + Why should I lose out?. Welcome to the real world.
Or, charge $40, loose some profit margin but, dominate market share.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I find what we read about how prices are set is often better left in the books. Does anybody in the real world actually go about setting price based on what it costs to produce the item plus a small markup for profit? What I find almost universal is that prices are set by what people feel they can get by selling the item.
So I went out today and spent 11/2 hours wandering around looking over the wood and came home with four items that appeal to me and I think should appeal to other people who like wood in their tanks. Add in the travel time and expense, plus the cleaning and soaking and the wood should sell for $25-30 each?
Got to smile at jokes like that!

I normally try to cover the gas and get enough to not look like a complete fool and feel good if I get that done! You sell it for what you can get out of it and have to eat the rest or call it fun!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
We can break down the economy of retrieving anything right down to the cost of food for the collectors caloric intake for the day.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode