help I'm HYDRAted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
help I'm HYDRAted

Thanks to a magnifier glass I found a couple hydra in my tank. Here is the deal.
I have :
Hc dwarf baby tears
"H. Micran" baby tears
Rotala wallichii.

LAVA ROCK

I have no live stock and plan on making it a shrimp only tank down the road. I want to irradicate them and stomp on there graves, i do not want to kill my plants and also concerned about them infesting my lava rock. The web has made me dizzie and I am not finding a solid plan of action. Can u help a fool out? Lol

Warranty not included
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Since you have no livestock, getting rid of hydras and planaria is easy.

I would use Safe-guard 4 (fenbendazole) 3 pack. can be found in the dog section of your pet store as a dog dewormer. I would use 1 pack every other day or 2 days followed by a couple majority water changes. Deworming is only complicated if you have livestock.

Make sure you remove any medication removing filter media while treating your tank.

I got rid of planaria with fish in my tank. I lost 2 rasboras. Plants weren't affected.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok . yeah I read that and wasn't sold on it. But they didn't really say if it was safe or not.

Do u know if the hydra can escape into the pores of the lava rock? Any special procedure for that kind of thing?

Warranty not included

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Safety is only regarding livestock. As long as you do a couple major water changes you will be good to go after dosing is complete.

I have fluorite substrate and that didn't help them survive. Not sure about lava rock but I would assume the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didn't think about them escaping into my flourite. Not much difference between that and lava rock, circulation wise. Thanks randpost!

Warranty not included
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get some mollies on loan?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you do try fenbendazole here are a few tips you most likely already read through, but redundancy is good.

Crush the powder and mix it well in water then dose with the liquid solution in your tank. Otherwise you will get chunks in you rocks, decor, and substrate which may or may not dissolve depending on the nook the particle lands in. You can dose into an hob if you prefer, which will dissolve all particles over time.

make sure you spread your dosing regime out for a full week to make double sure you have killed all the hydras. It's not needed in all cases, but a week will be thorough. I only dosed 2 packets over 3 days and stopped because I was murdering fish. luckily it worked in the three days.

Lastly, use up some of the carbon you have laying around. If not you should get some just to soak up the minuscule amount that may be left over after the majority water changes. I have six bags just laying around since I only use them to remove medication from the water column. I'm fairly certain snails and and shrimp are far more sensitive to this type of medication also which is why I say carbon may be a good idea if you want to add them later. I had no more pest snails after this medication dosing, all them were wiped out. I do have 150+ shrimp now, in the same tank and I have yet to have a death so the water changes and the carbon did it's job.

My plants never showed any signs of trauma from the medication.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I used safe-guard 4 in my shrimp only tank when it was infested and it got rid of them very quickly. I overdosed like 10x on accident and it didn't kill the shrimp or the snails in the tank. One packet in a tank is only necessary for a very large tank. It only requires less than 1 gram for every 10g. Basically you take one packet and divide it up like coke into 5 (10?) portions, then dose one portion. Let it sit for a couple days, do a big water change, then dose again if you still see them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I used safe-guard 4 in my shrimp only tank when it was infested and it got rid of them very quickly. I overdosed like 10x on accident and it didn't kill the shrimp or the snails in the tank. One packet in a tank is only necessary for a very large tank. It only requires less than 1 gram for every 10g. Basically you take one packet and divide it up like coke into 5 (10?) portions, then dose one portion. Let it sit for a couple days, do a big water change, then dose again if you still see them.
That dosing regime is small for the benefit of fish and in your case invertebrates. He can dose higher than that without a problem since he has no livestock. People aren't always successful with small (fish) dosing depending on decor and substrate etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode