How many of you would consider starting a home-based business for fun? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
How many of you would consider starting a home-based business for fun?

How many of you ever thought of starting your own business at home? More specifically, selling something related to fish/plants/aquariums/equipment?

Nothing too serious--something to try for fun. I'm kind of intrigued with the idea of trying this. It'll be fun trying to apply some the things I learn in class. Kind of like an entrepreneurial side-project.

Anybody have suggestions / experience? I have a lot of questions to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
I do aquarium setup and maintenance in my free time.

I also have 400 gallons of water for a coral frag setup that I maintain and sell frags from now and then. Or trade for other corals.

Other than those, everything else takes up too much time, especially since I'm still trying to finish school.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's really interesting.

How did you start off? Where did you find the clients at first?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm afraid to ask, epic, what are you in school for? Are you in some kind of law/medical/business superdegree program? Your courses are crazy.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I actually do. I buy/sell fish, tanks, equipment. I usually buy used tanks and equipment and keep sell of the pieces that I don't need. Of course, I'll take in freebies. I'm also a middle man (broker) for my friends & co-workers who are looking for fish, tanks, etc.

I'm also hoping my future discus acquisitions will breed. I made a a deal with an LFS owner that I would give him any discus spawns in trade for food, equipment, etc. There are allot of local breeders, although the 2 closest are/will shut down, that there's no need for me to compete against. Plus, I don't have the time and equipment to breed discus as a business.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It was an interesting start. I started with a small 10 gallon tank with some livebearers....mollies and swordtails, in fact. Once I had too my fry to deal with, I posted them for sale on Craigslist.

Got a few e-mails and this guy with a 60 gallon tank wanted them and was only about 20 minutes away and could pick up...called him and we arranged a time for him to drop by. Then before he was supposed to come over, he called and asked me a ton of questions about his setup, his lighting, etc, etc, substrate...and I talked to him for close to an hour before he invited me over to his place to look at his tank.

Needless to say, it was FILTHY. Algae had overgrown the tank, the driftwood had chaeto growing out from it, the "clown puke" substrate was covered with detritus...not a good thing.

I offered to show him how to clean it with a gravel vac and what not...and he offered me to clean it. $150 in fact, to clean it. To me, it looked like a two hour job, so I took it. I got back in my car, got my Python, gravel vac, and some other equipment and went back to his place. It took me freaking 4 hours to clean his darn tank...it was really bad. Long story short, he felt bad and ended up paying me $300 that day and I've been maintaining his aquarium every since.

Through his referrals, I've landed a few more "clients" and many of my weekends are busy with water changes and pruning, but it's decent chump change.

And as for the coral thing...I just got tired of paying out my butt for corals. So now I'll grow them and sell and/or trade for other ones.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I was trying to sell RCS, but then I think people caught on that they bred like cockroaches. By the time I got a decent population, my LFS stopped taking them for money. Store credit only helps feed my addiction

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
It was an interesting start. I started with a small 10 gallon tank with some livebearers....mollies and swordtails, in fact. Once I had too my fry to deal with, I posted them for sale on Craigslist.

Got a few e-mails and this guy with a 60 gallon tank wanted them and was only about 20 minutes away and could pick up...called him and we arranged a time for him to drop by. Then before he was supposed to come over, he called and asked me a ton of questions about his setup, his lighting, etc, etc, substrate...and I talked to him for close to an hour before he invited me over to his place to look at his tank.

Needless to say, it was FILTHY. Algae had overgrown the tank, the driftwood had chaeto growing out from it, the "clown puke" substrate was covered with detritus...not a good thing.

I offered to show him how to clean it with a gravel vac and what not...and he offered me to clean it. $150 in fact, to clean it. To me, it looked like a two hour job, so I took it. I got back in my car, got my Python, gravel vac, and some other equipment and went back to his place. It took me freaking 4 hours to clean his darn tank...it was really bad. Long story short, he felt bad and ended up paying me $300 that day and I've been maintaining his aquarium every since.

Through his referrals, I've landed a few more "clients" and many of my weekends are busy with water changes and pruning, but it's decent chump change.

And as for the coral thing...I just got tired of paying out my butt for corals. So now I'll grow them and sell and/or trade for other ones.
Wow that's pretty cool. I have guppies breeding like crazy at the moment...so I might follow in your footsteps. Only thing I need would be a python.

$300 for 4 hours is $75 / hour, that's quite professional wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I was trying to sell RCS, but then I think people caught on that they bred like cockroaches. By the time I got a decent population, my LFS stopped taking them for money. Store credit only helps feed my addiction
I had 14+ RCS, they were breeding for one generation, but I added gouramies and loaches and now they're disappearing. So I'll invest in another 20 RCS, this time shrimp-only. Then sell them off.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
Wow that's pretty cool. I have guppies breeding like crazy at the moment...so I might follow in your footsteps. Only thing I need would be a python.

$300 for 4 hours is $75 / hour, that's quite professional wage.

He was rich...so I jumped on it. But now I have insurance and gas expenses, etc, etc...still not so bad though.

I had 14+ RCS, they were breeding for one generation, but I added gouramies and loaches and now they're disappearing. So I'll invest in another 20 RCS, this time shrimp-only. Then sell them off.
Get 20-30 shrimp, crank up the temperature, and just sit back and watch them breed!

Selling CRS = $$ too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
"clown puke"
Ha ha ha... read this, started laughing. Read the rest of the thread and had to come back and read this post again. Funny comment.

I would love to either start up a store that sells fish, plants, etc. or be a professional fishing guide. I love the two "hobbies" and don't particularly like what I am doing now.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Ha ha ha... read this, started laughing. Read the rest of the thread and had to come back and read this post again. Funny comment.
I have to give credit to Rex Grigg for that terminology.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

lol, so what's difference between clown puke and regular puke?

Also, starting tomorrow will be my basement grow-op of RCS, guppies and platies.

Question: Can you mix guppies / platies together into one 10 gallon tank, something like 4 adults of each species, with 1m 3f ratio.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When I think of "clown puke" substrate, for some reason light blue, deep purple, and pink comes to mind. Regular puke... well you know.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
lol, so what's difference between clown puke and regular puke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
When I think of "clown puke" substrate, for some reason light blue, deep purple, and pink comes to mind. Regular puke... well you know.
Here's a quote from Rex's Planted Tank FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide
2. What's "Clown Puke"?

Clown puke is the multicolored (bright and/or fluorscent colors not normally found in natural setting. Think dayglo pink and blue mixed together) coated gravel that some people use in their tanks. If you want to use it then feel free to do so. Most of us will politely laugh behind your back.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here's a quote from Rex's Planted Tank FAQ.
Ha! Yes! I have read that before. Now that you have brought it to my attention, I think it might be my favorite line in his guide. Good stuff! I am still chuckling.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode