Waukee, IA - 600gal (96x48x30)... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Waukee, IA - 600gal (96x48x30)...

Well I have a 600gal (92x48x30high) tank that was once setup as a saltwater tank... Once I get moved and settled I wanted to set it backup as a freshwater, but I am not sure what yet… I was thinking about a community tank with the following not limited to:

Angel Fish
Tetra’s (school)
Gourami
Clown Loach
Guppies
Plecostomus (Bristle)
Otocinclus Catfish
Longfin Zebra Danio (School)
Killie
Cory (Corydoras) Catfish

Was kinda thinking about doing a Cichlid tank as well, but not sure…

I am looking for any suggestions

I was thinking about having “easy” plants, I do have a CO2 setup but would like to keep tank maintenance as easy as I can…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Planted Member

With a tank this size you can do so many things, I personally with it would find a HUGE stump and some pretty driftwood. And the plants I would use would be

amazon swords
ulvacious apontegen (sp)
Cryptocorne blanase,
java moss
java ferns on the wood.

LOTS OF PLANTS....tall and short.

I would pretty much make it a LUSH garden.

And I would get a school of serpe tetras, they are red and if you have a huge school they are pretty, and they color well and look awesome against the green plants.
some frogs
acually LOTS of frogs, I love them, they make a nice addition to any tank.

Maybe some angel fish too..in a tank that big you can get a school of them and it will look awesome with the serpe tetras. you can do so many things. Lots of tropical fish of all sorts

I def agree with the clown loaches tho....

AND I WANT PICS TOO...Must see pics as you scape what you decided to do.

Destinee
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply Destinee, Where would be a good place to pickup some nice (large) pieces of driftwood for a good price ?? I love driftwood and would like to have some in the tank...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think I just wet myself. Just a little.

Personally, I would look into wild discus:
http://www.aquatechnics.net/wilddiscus.htm
My favorites are the semi royal blues:
http://www.discusclub.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6109

I would also look into altum angelfish:
http://www.akvariumas.net/duomenu_ba...llum_altum.jpg

Check out this tank (one of my favorites): http://www.nobobo.com/
It has all my favorites; peruvian altum angels, wild discus, rummy nose, cardinals, corydoras, and more!

I would check out manzanita for your wood. badcopnofishtank on this forum sells it, and there is another company that I can't remember right now that does as well. I think your tank would look amazing with some anubias, amazon swords, plenty of moss, etc. Low tech can be beautiful too

Good luck, I envy you.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnatlas View Post
Thanks for the reply Destinee, Where would be a good place to pickup some nice (large) pieces of driftwood for a good price ?? I love driftwood and would like to have some in the tank...

Acually, if you have a lake near you, or if you find branches that you really like the shape of, you can find FREE driftwood at the river, lake, woods, ect ect. if it doesnt sink you can float it in water for ( up to a month or so) and it should be good enough to anchor into the aquarium with rocks (thats what I did with mine I found at the lake) or you can order some from www.aquabotanic.com. They are really good and has some decent selections. you can also google "aquarium driftwood" and it will pop up many sites where you can order from. BUT if you get natural driftwood from a lake or what not, it might "stain" the water for a while, as in turn it black or brown, this will go away after a while, but in the meantime, you just have to do freaquent water changes..but I have never had that happen to me so I dont know how often it happens... I really like the wood and rock scape with lush plants. im so jealous, I wish I had your tank. its going to be a exspensive project, even if you go low tech. b/c the substrate alone will be exspensive, I recomend a blend of sand and eco complete. that way the plants can grow easily. I want to show you this.....

This is kinda what I have in mind for your tank....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

this is one of my FAVORITE tanks....ANd if you did something like this, you could have ENDLESS fish possiblities, its all in what YOU like...But PLEASE show pics.

Destinee
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Here is where I would look for driftwood for a tank that size.http://www.tomscypress.com/Wood.html

I would also take a long time thinking of types of filtration for a tank that size.
I hope plantbrain chimes in on this one. He is an expert at large volume tanks.
Good luck and most of all have fun.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nah, dude, Amano's tank is over 2000 gallons. The one I posted is around 540. Even HE wishes he had amano's tank

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Nah, dude, Amano's tank is over 2000 gallons. The one I posted is around 540. Even HE wishes he had amano's tank

yeah I know that one is ALOT bigger, but I was using it to show the kind of idea I was talking about... I wish I could swim in amanos tank..lol....I think that is one of my fav tank pics.

Destinee
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
This is where I buy driftwood, you can buy by the piece or by the case, good prices.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...11370/cid/2928
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
OH yeah a South American Blackwater river with wild Discus. Now that would really give cause to wet your self.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
It all depends on what you have left over from your reef and how you want the tank to look.

I'd be tempted to use just two to three 250W halides and a six to eight 2-bulb 48" T5 retrofits so the tank is not evenly lit. Offset the halides to one third of the tank, for carpeting plants or those that otherwise need high light (red plants, etc). The T5s will provide adequate light over the rest of the tank for tall, stem plants (giant vallisneria, etc).

Use the same sump as your reef, except throw bioballs or other bio-media into all the available space. No need to cover it unless you decide to run CO2. Carbon will help with tannins leached by driftwood, UV sterilizer will help with green water and other bio-blooms.

This thread has some pictures of Amano's filtration system on his large tank. Pictures were taken from "The Style of ADA", 2006. Except mine is in English, and that one obviously isn't.

Good luck with the tank, though I'd rather see a reef tank from you than a planted FW!

Cheers,
Marty
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
get some nurse sharks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I know you're kidding, but nurse sharks easily grow to 6 ft, if not more.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

With a tank that size I would do one of two things a planted discus nursery or a reef with soft corals anenomes and the like(BIG ENOUGH FOR A NICE SIZED EEL) and would have a very tough time deciding which, prolly the discuses. Im jealous want a tank that sized no cash or space.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnatlas View Post
Angel Fish
Tetra’s (school)
Gourami
Clown Loach
Guppies
Plecostomus (Bristle)
Otocinclus Catfish
Longfin Zebra Danio (School)
Killie
Cory (Corydoras) Catfish

Was kinda thinking about doing a Cichlid tank as well, but not sure…
Although the fish you chose arent too exotic, I think your current list is more to my style... what I would do:

Angel Fish - perhaps some Altums
Tetra’s (school) - yes, rummynose and maybe cardinals, several hundred (not kiddin either)
Gourami - maybe a large group of Pearls
Clown Loach - how did you guess, lol... probably 2 dozen or so
Plecostomus (Bristle) - several, or depending on you plant situation maybe some of the larger more exotic ones
Otocinclus Catfish - sure, a few dozen
Cory (Corydoras) Catfish - if you have space left after clowns and plecos, then I might add a large group of sterbai

But to be honest, when you get so big plants become a hassle to do. Well perhaps low tech would work. But on such a tank I'd love to take advantage of some larger fish that wouldnt be too good with plants, and also much easier to maintain. Maybe make a smaller refugium that a sump pumps into and have the plants in there for supplemental filtration But in something like that I'd love to do something like stingrays with a nice sandy bottom and maybe some geophagus, or perhaps lots of rocks and make a native fish tank, catfish, bass, panfish, something like that.

Keep us posted!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode