need immediate advice - what to do with "contaminated" filter pads? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
need immediate advice - what to do with "contaminated" filter pads?

I'm running a diatom filter right now to get rid of an algae bloom. My question is what do I do with the contaminated filter pads in my HOB filter? I don't want to discard them or hurt any good bacteria on them. Ammonia is probably why I ended up with this algae in the first place. Should I dip them in an excel solution? I think H202 would hurt the good bacteria. Should I be running the HOB filter at the same time as the diatom - that's what I'm doing?

Also, does anyone know how long it should take for the water to be clear and how I should prevent another bloom? I want to add my EI ferts tonight, but I'm a little nervous. I did a 60% water change b/f running the diatom filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Just rinse them in tank water. I wouldn't consider them "contaminated" as it is essentially impossible to completely rid the tank of any form of algae. Proper CO2 and fertilization will be the most effective treatment, the better your plants are growing the less likely the algae will maintain its hold.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Just rinse the HOB filter out and keep the diatom filter running.

With a diatom filter (what kind?) in a 75 gallon tank, I expect no more than 8 hours or so, especially if you have a Vortex filter.

Do a WC in a couple days and start EI again after the WC.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
I wouldn't consider them "contaminated" as it is essentially impossible to completely rid the tank of any form of algae.
I see your point.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Just rinse them in tank water. I wouldn't consider them "contaminated" as it is essentially impossible to completely rid the tank of any form of algae. Proper CO2 and fertilization will be the most effective treatment, the better your plants are growing the less likely the algae will maintain its hold.
But if spores of the green water get put back into the aquarium in conditions that caused the green water to start in the first place...it'll come back. GW spores are prolific unless you 1) Filter them all through a diatom filter, 2) Kill them with a UV sterilizer.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Just rinse the HOB filter out and keep the diatom filter running.

With a diatom filter (what kind?) in a 75 gallon tank, I expect no more than 8 hours or so, especially if you have a Vortex filter.

Do a WC in a couple days and start EI again after the WC.
Ok. So do I need to turn off the HOB? I'm afraid to run the diatom too long b/c it feels so warm to the touch, is smelling like a blender that's overdone and has started making a hissing/grinding noise in the last couple minutes (I've only run it for about 15 min). It's a borrow one (from a friend) and is made by Vortex Innerspace Products - 115 V, 3000 RPM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can leave the HOB on.

Uh, how much DE powder did you add to the machine? How's the flowrate right now?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's right, I agree, the conditions need to be addressed before there can ever be real reprieve from the algae. Zapping a biofilter isn't going to help the situation though, but surely if one has fine filtering material it should be disposed of.

With the diatom filter running, I believe it's perfectly safe to reuse sponges, etc, as it has been my experience that diatom filtering will clear the immediate bloom. If the conditions are conducive to its growth then it'll come back anyway, regardless if the filter pads are "sterile" or "contaminated" for that matter.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can leave the HOB on.

Uh, how much DE powder did you add to the machine? How's the flowrate right now?
I don't know how much powder - about what would fit in a quart size ziplock baggie. The flowrate was fine, but I just turned the thing off b/c of the sound, smell, heat, etc.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Uh, a whole quart? Is that what the instructions said?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Aren't the spores for green water always present, unlike say BBA?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Uh, a whole quart? Is that what the instructions said?
No instructions - my friend gave me the powder and said it was the right amount. He's used the filter a lot in the past, so I guess he knows what he's doing.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use...a cup? Maybe cup and a half. That's about half a quart.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Uhm, what model Diatom filter is it? Or rather, about how much water would you figure the glass jar holds, a gallon or smaller than that?

I use 2-3 true measured cups of DE powder with my XL model filter, it has a gallon jar -- for reference think of those big ol' "institutional size" jars of pickles. The most common cause of noise for me would have to be bubbles in the impeller. The impeller spins in such a way it actually drives CO2 and other gasses out of solution and then will blow them into the tank.

It's also pretty normal that the motor sort of smells, gets hot, and is noisy. It is likely it needs to be oiled, as many folks forget that. If you have some sewing machine oil, or 3in1 oil, put a few drops in the "oil port" ...good luck finding it though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode