Moving tanks....new homeowner here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
Moving tanks....new homeowner here

So I just bought a house, and it's time to get ready for the big move. I've got 15 30g tanks that run on a single system, so I've gotten rid of most of my fish to make my life (and theirs) easier. I have to reconfigure the set up as I'm not going to have 10 foot ceilings anymore. The new system will have 14 30g tanks (2 up, 7 across, one extra just in case) and I'm also going to add a 230g and a 90g to the system. I'll update this in a few weeks as to how I'm going to do it all. Anyone have any advice or anything? The system will be just shy of 900 gallons. Once set up again, I'll need new lighting (all tanks will have substrate and plants) and then it's time to stock up again. I'm going to go with several types of Apisto (Hongsloi II, Ninjeseni, Borelli, Viejta, and Mcmasterii) some cories (red lazer, sterbai, adolfi) and I'm debating if I want to get back into plecos (had LDA 31, L-204, L141). Questions is...what would YOU do with the 230? I'm thinking Satanoperca Daemon(one of my favorites), and maybe a wild Oscar or a stingray.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Congrats on the house. I just signed on a house Jan 28th so I was in the same boat. I had to move an empty 55, a full 29 and a full 46. I had to empty some water into rubbermaid and catch as many fish as I could find. I couldn't get my loaches or cories. I drained all but an inch of water and did the thing no one would ever recommend. Move the 46 with sand and all. 5 people moving it into the back seat of my husbands isuzu trooper. When we got there it was fill up with 2 5 gal buckets of water, add fish, add rubbermaid water.. fill rest with water from new house (slowly) ..

The fish from the 29 went into their own bucket the next day (it was my south american tank with the cories, bentosi tetras and my bolivian ram) and they got moved and dumped into my 46 (their permanent home) and I threw out everything inside the tank since that tank had a BBA outbreak I could never cure. I'm selling the 29 and will set up my 55 and only 3 fish from my 46 are going into it.

I've never done a rack system so I couldn't help you there. Just keep in mind the new flooring isn't necessarily going to be the same as the old and might not take the weight. The flooring here at my new house is concrete with carpet over it so I don't have to worry about that but MAN is it uneven. 2 packs of shims later my tank is level.

Take as much water with you from the old house to the new house. I know it's a lot, but if you're moving to a new water district the water will be different. the pipes could be different too so the water could be harder or softer depending on construction.

If I had a tank that size to stock.. geesh I don't know. I'd go with something cool like a ray. I've never been a fan of oscars or fish the size of dinner plates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Congrats on the house. A lot of my friends are getting ready to buy and asking me what I did because I recently bought about a year ago for the first time. My suggestion to everyone with a bunch of stuff is to try to overlap your rent as much as you can afford. I was not able to but I was able to move some stuff to my parents before hand, and also had my recording studio there which made the move much easier. It still was pretty brutal for us.

Another thing I did, not that I had a lot of tanks at that time because I did decommission any I didn't want to worry about, was combine what I could. I only had three tanks that I made into one. If you can move some of your tanks empty and then use them as holding tanks as you move, you gain a ton of time.

Also, if it's not too cold, you may want to move some of this stuff through the garage where you don't need to be as careful in the short run. That assumes that all your other stuff won't end up there.

Anyway, congrats and good luck.

-Matt

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guy and gal!

My friend is taking my pair of L-183, and my orange lazer cories, dwarf red breasted acaras and some other loose cories. My swordtails from the sump will hang in the 125 for now, and all tanks will be drained and ready for the move. All I've got to do is cut the plumbing loose, unscrew the rack, and take it to the new place to reconfigure. Luckily, my water will be the same, as I'll still be on the county water system. It's going to be in the basement which is a 6ft+ slab so I'm not worried about weight.

Here is the current set up.

4000gph pump, over 150lbs of lava rock as bio media with the thick white pad for catching debris, and 4 300w heaters. I'm also looking for better heaters, or thinking about closing the room up and using a seperate heater to keep the temps up around 83F. The 220 that will be added is 84"x24x24.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Watch out for condensation with that much water in the house. Could lead to mold which is nasty on house values. Insulating your fish room and/or investing in a vent system and/or dehumidifying system could be a good idea.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Currently where it is, the studs that were used are treated for moisture, and the walls around it are concrete. Where it is going, I'm using green board to close off the ceiling, and going to make a small wall to close it all off. De-humidifier runs for 2 hours, every 4 hours and is plumbed to drain to the floor drain. I worked at a great LFS for 5 years and took all of this into consideration. I've been doing this for many many many years. Thanks for all comments!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode