Questions about hydrogen peroxide in the planted aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about hydrogen peroxide in the planted aquarium

Hey guys.
I have been suffering from a hair algae outbreak in my aquarium.
I am trying/considering many solutions such as: algae eaters, decreasing light, acquiring floating plants, and even using chemicals. A Chemical I have been considering is hydrogen peroxide.
I have seen it kill algae almost immediately on youtube. However, I would like to know if using hydrogen peroxide is safe for plants and fish even in a smaller aquarium. I would also like to know about the "dosing amounts" and if there is a certain type/purity of hydrogen peroxide is ideal for use in an aquarium.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

Peroxide will kill your beneficial bacteria, the tank will have to recycle. On the bright side it does take care of the algae.

I took my fish and snails out of the tank 2.5 gal, put in a good long squirt of peroxide left it for about five minutes drained the tank filled it, drained it again and filled it again. This killed all the blue green algae and the the plants and fish/snails all did fine. However about four or five days later I noticed my betta was not happy, checked water quality and the ammonia was off the chart probably around 8. Took me about three weeks to build back up the bacteria and get the water to stay healthy.

Maybe if you keep the filter sponge out of the tank while you treat the bacteria would survive and you'd be ok...

Jewell

Trying a Walstad tank for the 1st time December 2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyMaMa View Post
Peroxide will kill your beneficial bacteria, the tank will have to recycle.

some what true. it takes a large dose of peroxide to kill bacteria. i have used it many times and never had recycle issues.

what we recommend in our local club is to do you normal water change (remove effected plants and rocks) put peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the affect areas. you can them simply replace them in the tank, or fill the tank up after a few minutes.

after this you should look to fix the imbalance that caused the algae in the first place, otherwise it'll just come back.

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Everything you need to know about dosing H2O2 should be in here ....https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=one+two+punch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would be helpful to provide our setup along with photo period. I had it bad in a tank 3 days ago and reduced my photo period by a few hours and today its almost no trace of it. But that's this tank, yours may be different.
The best medicine is most often fixing the cause

Warranty not included
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbanna View Post
The best medicine is most often fixing the cause
+1. Totally agree
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
up to 3% of your ACTUAL water volume is safe for fish and plants. It is best if you can take out any wood or ornaments with the algae on it, and dip it in the peroxide for a few minutes, then let it soak in fresh water for 15 minutes before returning it to the tank. I used a syringe and would shoot it right on the affected areas, then just siphon it out in an hour or so.

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It can be a good quick fix but not a long term one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode