New Fish new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Fish new tank

Hi im worried about my new fish, i went to my local fishstore and bought me 20 juvenile cardinal tetras, i asked them to give me some extra water for me to fill the tank im planning to use, they accepted my request but now what i am thinking about is the cycling of the tank, the tank measurement are the following 8 inches long 20 inches tall and 18 inches deep. it hasn't been cycled before i added the fish, but i added a large filter sponge of my main tank, the ph on the tank at the moment is about 8.0.

are they going to die? though they look healthy and eating just fine

"todos somos unos ignorantes pero no todos ignoramos las mismas cosas" Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think that is too many for that tank but if the filter was from a cycled tank it may be OK. Do you have a filter just for that tank different from the one you put in there from the other tank ? If you do then after two weeks the new one should be cycled but you
can leave it a week longer to be sure. The tank will have a "mini cycle" when you take out the old filter. Just test the water for ammonia for the first week after you take out the old filter mostly the first three days.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow thx fo your anwser, i sure hope that they don't die on me, and yes I have a new sponge filter, and as you mentioned im going to leave the filter way more than a week, i'm planning to move the fish to the main tank in about 3 or 4 weeks, just to make sure they have no diseases. i'll post a picture of my new fish tomorrow i'm quite tired right now lol

"todos somos unos ignorantes pero no todos ignoramos las mismas cosas" Albert Einstein

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keep a close eye on them for any distress and keep an eye on the ammonia levels, as you may need to do water changes if the filter didn't have enough bacteria to handle the load from the tetras. If you can, I'd pick up some prime or other ammonia neutralizer so that you can ensure that the ammonia levels don't rise in the QT tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh rigth i'll check on the ammonia levels. now the problem i have is that the local fishstores don't sell ammonia tests, i got to get me one on amazon or something because locally i can't get them.

what do you think about water changes using my mains tank water? i change like 15% of that water every 2 or 3 days

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

If it's me, I would change water 25% every other day and feed very light every other day, until it's fully cycled.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going to make 25% water changes every day using my main tank water. I do see two white marks on one of my fish I'll keep an eye on them, and here's a picture of them!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode