Need to upgrade 10G to 29G without cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need to upgrade 10G to 29G without cycling

Hello smart people,

I have a crowded 10G tank that I need to replace with a 29G as my weekend project. The old tank is currently sitting where the new one needs to go. I bought two bags of Eco Complete for the new tank. I plan to move two pieces of Malaysian driftwood that are loaded with java moss and ferns.

I'm not sure what I'm doing about filtration yet. I have an old Tetra HOB from a 55G in the garage, and I might use that until I get something else. The 10G has two Marineland Duetto 50's, one of which feeds through a Marina HOB breeder box and then back into the tank. I'm planning to move them into the new tank at least temporarily.

So here's my plan:

-Drain about half of the water from the 10G or enough that I can move it
-Set up the 29G and pour in the Eco Complete
-Fill with a mix of dechlorinated water and the water taken from the 10G
-Add driftwood and plants
-Add Duetto filters

If I do this, will it negate the need to cycle the new tank? I have about a dozen adult guppies, four leopard danios, some guppy fry, and a few horned nerites in the 10G. Crowded, which is one of the reasons I'm upgrading to the bigger tank. Between the tons of moss and the ferns, they barely have room to swim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
The driftwood with plants and the filters should bring enough bacteria over that the tank will be cycled very quick. Up your water change schedule a little bit to be sure.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Seems like you have a plan! A 10 gallon aquarium filled should weigh around 110-120 pounds without substrate, so you will need to take half or more of the water out before you move it probably. I have done several quick cycling setups before, pretty much what you have stated in the first post is a good process. I personally would drain all the water into 5 gallon buckets, remove all my fish into one of the 5 gallon buckets and add an airstone so you can keep them in there for a little while. Then when you are ready to set up you 29 gallon, add the 5 gallons of reserved water from your previous tank, your drift wood, and your plants, then fill the rest of the way with treated water, then turn on your filter and let the filter circulate the water for around 30 minutes, I usually let it go for about an hour to be on the safe side, at this point you can add on of the bottles of bacteria you can get from your LFS if you want. Then after you've waited 30 minutes to an hour just simply add your fish and toss out the last 5 gallons of tank water.

Another way you can go about this, if to buy a few 5 gallon buckets with lids, and store some clean "live" aquarium water in the buckets, then you can have several buckets of "live" water to start your new aquarium off with. This is the method I use when I move, I will store water from a water change and keep it for when I go to setup the tank after I move.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Your plan sounds pretty good. That's what I would do. You should get a couple bottles of tetra safestart. I've used that stuff to set up an emergency quarantine tanks before and I didn't seed them with anything from my other tanks, I just dumped the whole bottle in. I never once got ammonia or nitrites. Also, I've had good success with nutrafin, nutrafin takes 3 days to complete though. I'd be more worried about making sure that new substrate is real clean, you don't want a cloudy mess. Good luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Your plan sounds pretty good. That's what I would do. You should get a couple bottles of tetra safestart. I've used that stuff to set up an emergency quarantine tanks before and I didn't seed them with anything from my other tanks, I just dumped the whole bottle in. I never once got ammonia or nitrites. Also, I've had good success with nutrafin, nutrafin takes 3 days to complete though. I'd be more worried about making sure that new substrate is real clean, you don't want a cloudy mess. Good luck.
You can add the substrate after you fill the aquarium with water using a 2 liter soda bottle or a similar bottle with a bigger opening, this will allow you to add the substrate to the aquarium unwashed and all the "dust" and cloudy water will be captured in the bottle. This is the best way to add substrate to a tank if you don't want to spend the time washing it, you also lose a good deal of fine substrate particles when you wash your plant substrate, these fine particles are good to have in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I'm not too worried about the substrate. I have used Eco Complete in other tanks before. It comes already packed with bacteria-infused water (about 15 lbs of gravel and 5 lbs of water in a 20 lb bag). There will be some clouding and particulates that need to settle, but you're not supposed to wash it or you lose all that bacteria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode