What floating plant do I need - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What floating plant do I need

Hello,

I am a new to planted tanks and need some help selecting a type of floating plant.

I have a 29 gallon (high) with 2 HOB filters. I have planted the tank with low light plants (anubias, crypts, java fern and some java moss). I currently have a finnex fugeray planted+ in the mail to replace my single T8.

My fertilization is as follows:
# daily metricide 14 that I am building up slowly due to my small fish (I have heard habrosus corydoras can be sensitive). Currently at 0.75 mls/10 gallons
# weekly flourish comprehensive for trace/micro elements
# daily dry ferts (ordered from GLA). I only dose potassium/phosphate mix as the nitrates in my tank seem to be sufficient. CSM-B will be dosed once my flourish bottle runs out

I plan to remove the top of the tank in a few days when my LEDs come in and is mounted.

I am wanting some floating plants for the following reasons/goals:
1) provide security to my chili rasboras
2) fill in some of the "dead space" in the upper 1/3 of my aquarium as the aquascaping sort of stops 1/2 way up the tank. I figure some floaters with some dangling roots could add some visual interest
3) help control algae

Also, I presume it is important that the plants not be of such density that they completely shade my plants below. With the type of plants I have, the planted+ should be plenty of light, but I don't want to block it out too much.

So, with these goals in mind, I was hoping some of you experts could name a few floaters that would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like frogbit, though any floating plant requires regular removal to not cover the tank. I have a piece of fishing line on top of my tank to try to keep the frogbit in one area, but some always get out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I also like frogbit. It grows pretty well for me, and it's fairly easy to control by periodically removing a few plants.

About the only real drawback I've noticed is sometimes if it's disturbed, it seems to shed it's roots. then I've got gross little rotting strings all over everything.

Now, whenever I do something I think is likely to trigger this, I just manually remove the roots and drop it in, they grow new ones easily enough.

My clown killies seem to like swimming around in the roots and stuff, so there's also that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you can just trim back the roots as needed?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like my Salvinia minima because it's small and neat. Doesn't have long roots, which I prefer, but might not be what you're looking for.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
I agree with frogbit and salvinia minima. No duckweed, whatever you do. You'll be picking that stuff out for the rest of your life. I've managed to keep it culled in my tanks but it requires a lot of effort on my part.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
How about a tiger lotus or banana plant? In a lower light set up they will send floating leaves, easy to manage, provide some shade, and height. Also, some val will do well and provide the height you are looking for
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

I use wisteria in my tanks with more flow such as a hob filter. I found most true floating plants get blown all over.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

I have banana plants in 3 of my 4 tanks and never got one to send leaves all the way to the surface.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Red root floaters are pretty cool, but it you're looking for something that doesn't block too much light Hornwort is great, no roots though. +1 on Salvinia but it will cover the surface quick and shade things unless you remove it weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode