Fastest carpet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fastest carpet

What plant will give me the fastest thick carpet, low to med lighting with DIY Co2, about 1bps on a 64Litre, I have java moss but it hasn't grown for months, temp is 26-27 and the water is hard, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Give dwarf sag a try. grows like crazy with co2 and medium lighting.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Baby tears (Hemianthus Glomeratus, formerly known as HM) grow pretty quick to form a carpet. But since you are using low-medium light, it may not creep, so you would have to trim and plant to create a carpet yourself.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Glosso is also pretty fast.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Low to medium light dont go hand in hand with fast growth. HM will not creep at all under medium light. DGH grows like weed in my high tech. Maybe in medium it might be moderately fast, at the most. Someone with similar tank conditions can best suggest here.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Hens and Chicks Plants >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cheers, from what I've read I stand no chance at baby tears, I'll wait for some more suggestions before deciding, I don't have enough patience too wait a two years for a carpet!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
Cheers, from what I've read I stand no chance at baby tears, I'll wait for some more suggestions before deciding, I don't have enough patience too wait a two years for a carpet!
If you cannot wait to grow you own there are two options, option one, is to increase your lights, fertilizers and add co2, you can quickly grow out a carpet like that.

Your second option is to buy a preformed mat of plant to fit the size of your tank and voila, instant carpet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My LFS just got in their new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

Last edited by Chris_Produces; 03-14-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: M s ed up all s rts of sp l i g
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
My LFS just got in there new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

Nice, lucky you....wish we had a LFS that was setup like this with live plants....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
Nice, lucky you....wish we had a LFS that was setup like this with live plants....
Hey if you're in Tulsa, you're only like 1hr30min awayish!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
My LFS just got in their new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

I'm sure I can get them, probably not as cheap as that though as from what else I've seen online we get our pants pulled down here!, haven't seen a shop with a setup like that though, impressive, I think I'm going to try dwarf sag, unless I find a moss that will do well in my tank as I have already set out the mesh. Thanks everyone's!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow thats a nice setup at your LFS, nothing near me has anything close to that, just the large P chain stores. I have bought a few of the plants that come in the sealed packages and they have turned out great, but theres hardly any selection. That shop gets an A+!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been messing around with figuring out the answer to that question.I've been debating which one to add to my 125. I've got three little tanks 10 & 15 gallon that I'm experimenting with.

Dwarf sag: takes a little bit to get started but spreads like crazy once it gets running. It can get a little tall for a carpet.

Dwarf hairgrass: takes forever to get going, then sends out runners. Takes a bit of time to fill in. It also has a tendency to get brown algae on it that some grazers don't get. Oto's etc.

Micro sword: just got some of this still settling in.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just got a mat of hc from the lfs. Now how to plant it in the gravel lol

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Fastest carpet

Quote:
Just got a mat of hc from the lfs. Now how to plant it in the gravel lol
You can take some heavy rocks and hot glue a paper clip to them then bend the paper clip in a hook, hook the rock onto the mat and then burry the rock. It will keep the mat close to the substrate and allow the roots to grow.

Last edited by aquarist; 03-15-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode