Heater advice, please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Heater advice, please!

Any opinions or advice on heaters is appreciated!

What would you recommend for low-tech 29- and 75-gallon tanks? I feel like my cheap heaters from Wal-mart are struggling in our relatively cool house, especially when the furnace heat is turned down to 58 at night.

Are all heaters created equal, or does brand matter? How about placement inside the tank -- where is the most efficient spot? And is it better to have two medium-sized heaters or one big one?

I'd love to have one of those streamlined all-black ones -- they seem wonderfully inconspicuous, but might not be in my budget. And -- in your opinion -- do they work well or not?

Thanks, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Put heaters in high-flow areas so they can get more even distribution throughout the tank, i.e. under your filter outlet or next to a powerhead in the corner.

I'd get two - if your tanks are big enough (which they are), multiple heaters provides more even heat distribution and can save your fish if one fails (if it's one big one, it could cook the tank or freeze it).

I've used MarineLand Stealth heaters and RenaCal heaters and both are great. IMO, RenaCal are more aesthetically pleasing because they're lower-profile and all glass. The MarineLand Stealth heaters are encased in black plastic so they're shatter-proof.

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like the aqueon pro heaters (they have a little red light when heating, and a green light when the water is at temp). I've had several of various sizes and never any problem with them. They are black shatter-proof plastic as well.

Two smaller heaters is better than one large. The other benefit as mentioned by Guyver is that it is better to have 2 in case one fails. More time to notice and prevent disaster.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I am a huge fan of titanium heaters, they work very well and you can get away with just have one for each aquarium, most of them are very accurate, the one I am using in my 180 gallon only varies 1 degree. I like them better than the traditional style heater because they seem to be more accurate, heat better and more efficiently. Most of the better one will come with a temperature probe attached to the unit as well. The unit in the picture does no have a temperature probe, but is similar.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You don't need a heater, just bring your tanks over to my house, my old lady keeps the heat at about 200 degrees.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Dang! You would need a chiller then!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOK View Post
I really like the aqueon pro heaters (they have a little red light when heating, and a green light when the water is at temp). I've had several of various sizes and never any problem with them. They are black shatter-proof plastic as well.

Two smaller heaters is better than one large. The other benefit as mentioned by Guyver is that it is better to have 2 in case one fails. More time to notice and prevent disaster.
+1 for the Aqueon Pros. They look nice and conspicuous too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:42 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Cobalt.

Total tank water x 5w = total heater wattage to bring the water temperature to ~15℉ above the room temperature.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't use heaters unless I have fry in the tank. My house is kept at about 68-70 degrees during the day and at night it drops to 60-62. My tanks hover around 74-78 degrees , may drop a couple degrees overnight. In nature there are normal cycles of daytime warming and nighttime cooling. Most fish and plants we keep as aquarists come from shallower waters where this change is most evident. Most fish will handle a 2-5 degree drop in temps overnight fairly well.
I have yet to find a heater or a CO2 tank in or near any of my ponds around my property. Nature works pretty well on it's own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode