oil at the top of tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
oil at the top of tank

Not black like engine oil, but something keeps forming a layer at the top floating on the water, what is it? Is it stopping some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Could be oil from the fish food or a bacterial growth. Either way its harmless but not that pretty.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Probably biofilm or proteins. Surface agitation helps to get rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do you use co2? Surface agitation like other's said work.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think any light blockage/reflection/refraction/whatever would make any noticeable difference.

It will limit gas exchange though, which would have much more of an affect on your tank's inhabitants.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 add airstone/surface agitation will rid it
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I've been using a kitchen roll to get rid of it, it seems to be working, also tried using toilet paper and it instantly broke apart, not the smartest thing I've done! Yeah I have diy co2.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you can use a small cup to skim it off the surface. I had this problem for awhile. just upped my W/C schedule a little and it went away. are you using some kind of a bubble counter/ gas filter chamber for your co2? if not get one set up.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

That's funny I was literally coming here to post this same thread, and this thread was at the top of the heap. thanks guys an airstone sounds like the avenue I'm prolly gonna take.
EB

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I always get the oily surface sheen every time I start a new tank (such as right now). It seems pretty harmless and goes away on its own after a few weeks. Just carry on with normal tank maintenance and water changes.

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just hold the python upside down during a water change and skim it off of the surface. I get this normally when I feed a bit too much. You know the shake, shake, [email protected]# instances.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

I pythoned the waste from last week's fungal treatment using the upside down method mentioned by THE V above, and it took out about 85% of it with one h20 change. With a better technique, I bet I can get it all next time

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
AS The V said the oil layer is made up of fats and protein waste from fish and their food. It is not made by plants. It is a sign of excess carbon waste build up. Unlike the N and P from fish waste, this organic carbon will not be consumed by plants. Surface agitation will break up the layer but it will also lower dissolved CO2 if you are injecting.

If it really bothers you also use charcoal or frequent water changes as others have suggested. There is nothing wrong with ignoring it too.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
It's far more likely to be a bacterial bloom. Evidence: it goes away on its own in a couple of months after tank set up even though you're still feeding. Test: take a clean sample of tank water and put it in a separate container. Wait a couple of days. The surface will again form the oily film. So don't waste your money on a protein skimmer nor an air pump if you don't already have one. But the aeration technique works very well.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Use a skimmer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode