Shallow Paludarium Inhabitants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Shallow Paludarium Inhabitants

Hey guys.

What could comfortably live in a setup like this:

I started the sketch because I thought it would be really nice to keep a shallow pool of Ludwigia sedioides (pictured below) by a window. Then I threw in a little shore, but I didn't know what to do with the false bottom, so I made it a bookshelf. I plan on making this, or something like this, after I move to a new place.

I'm a city dweller: efficient use of space is essential for me. Also, windows aren't very plentiful. That's why this habitat is so shallow: it can't block the window.

As for inhabitants, all I've been able to think of so far are freshwater crabs. I would love for this to be brackish water, but then I couldn't keep the Ludwigia sedioides. The greatest limitation here is the tank height: no escape artists! I have no interest in putting a cover over this thing. It has to be open to the room.

EDIT: For your convenience, I have added some photos of Ludwigia sedioides, also known as the mosaic plant, below.

Last edited by Bananableps; 03-12-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Adding photos of a reference plant for viewer convenienec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
That is awesome.

No real fauna recommendations... Just a sweet idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Shrimp would be great... most terrestrial critters would probably easily escape.

Great idea! Looks challenging.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
ive never even heard of Ludwigia sedioides I just googled it and wow it is beautiful. you would have to keep it trimmed am I right so that it doesn't shade out your undergrowth.

I agree with Aplomado, a huge colony of CRS would look amazing in there.

-Jacklyn
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
That is awesome.

No real fauna recommendations... Just a sweet idea
Hey thanks! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Shrimp would be great... most terrestrial critters would probably easily escape.

Great idea! Looks challenging.
Thank you! Oh I will certainly add shrimp in addition to any other inhabitants. They're very entertaining, and they make a great cleanup crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
ive never even heard of Ludwigia sedioides I just googled it and wow it is beautiful. you would have to keep it trimmed am I right so that it doesn't shade out your undergrowth.

I agree with Aplomado, a huge colony of CRS would look amazing in there.
Isn't it? And meh, I sort of pictured the carpet fading from the edges, until it disappeared completely under the shade of the floating plants in the center. I might have to leave the center unplanted, or maybe only stocked with low light plants. It depends on whether there is a backing to the tank in order to allow sunlight from the sides.

Not a big CRS fan. Not very natural looking. I'm all about the ghost shrimp.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
great idea.

i suggest crabs. like vampires.

or amphibians

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This space is for oats, only oats can go here.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

if you like ghost shrimp, try some amanos. they will help clean algae and look really cool. that and some ottos maybe one or two cool plecos would be nice, because with no co2 and that much sunlight (depending on which direction your window faces) you are going to run into algae problems if you don't have plenty of algae eaters.

-Jacklyn
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
I love the idea! I would really like to see this come to life!

I'd say some nice species of CRS would be nice. But not sure if the water parameters for the ludwigia sedioides would agree.

~Tyrone~

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
great idea.
i suggest crabs. like vampires.
or amphibians
I was thinking crabs, but they're supposed to be very good at escaping. I suppose if I was very careful about not having anything too close to the glass for them to climb on, I could make this an open top crab tank.

Amphibians are a maybe. They're sort of delicate, and many of them are "escape artists" (see above). I don't know if it would be good to have amphibians in an open top tank in my living room. I believe the humidity and temperature of a residence changes too frequently to allow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
This space is for oats, only oats can go here.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
if you like ghost shrimp, try some amanos. they will help clean algae and look really cool. that and some ottos maybe one or two cool plecos would be nice, because with no co2 and that much sunlight (depending on which direction your window faces) you are going to run into algae problems if you don't have plenty of algae eaters.
As I understand it, sunlight tanks don't have out of control algae if you have the right plants and no additional lighting. This would effectively be an indoor pond.

I would get amano shrimp if I found a captive bred source. I'm not too hot on reducing wild stocks. They would certainly be a great addition if I gave up on having Ludwigia sedioides and committed to brackish water.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

Crabs are very good at escaping. Have you thought about African Dwarf Frogs? Kind of un-exotic, but if they have a lot of places to hide I think they are more active in shallower enclosures with a larger footprint. In the wild they spend the dry season in basically small sandy puddles or pools so they enjoy wider shallower areas. I would also suggest some snails like Apple Snails. In a set up like that they will actually come out of the water and forage in the shore areas and a little on land. They aren't as good at climbing out of the water so they probably wouldn't escape but you will find them all over the land area. Also, they sometimes dig in to the terrestrial soil and disappear for a few months, I guess hibernating. I had a similar set up on a balcony. For awhile I had apple snails and a Betta in it, but eventually I put in Firebelly toads and I had to add a screen.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

[/QUOTE]They would certainly be a great addition if I gave up on having Ludwigia sedioides and committed to brackish water.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say this?

-Jacklyn
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Amano shrimp only breed in brackish water.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Algae Grower

What about fire belly newts? Depending on the temps involved.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Crabs are very good at escaping. Have you thought about African Dwarf Frogs?... I would also suggest some snails like Apple Snails.
Do you think they could survive in an open top setup? Does their land area need high humidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOK View Post
What about fire belly newts? Depending on the temps involved.
Yeah, again, this thing is open top in a living room. I'll most likely be living in a pre-war building, so temperature fluctuations in the terrestrial component of this setup are to be expected.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode