What interesting fish does your LFS have? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool What interesting fish does your LFS have?

So a good friend of mine, who works at a LFS I go to..told me I should come in and check something out....Normally he knows what I'm interested/looking for and gives me heads up on shipments... Well he said someone dropped off a fish and if they would have called ahead of time we would have refused...this sparked my attention, because this place sells restricted fish and reptiles...so if they turned it down, it must be interesting. The next day I head over, and my buddy is there and he lit up, and pulled me over to this aquarium where I see this 3 1/2 foot Alligator Gar that someone didn't want anymore. Needless to say...I didn't buy it, but it was an incredible fish to see and i hope it finds a good home.

What crazy fish have you seen at your LFS...I'm sure there are ones that top this,so i'd love to hear them.

W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Algae Grower

Being in a small town with a pokey little pet shop they don't seem to get anything in more unusual than a neon tetra. i've even tried to put money their way and order in more exotic fish via them but they won't do it. Their speciality seems to be "upside down" fish of all species

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like the Green Dragon Longfins. I know they aren't the rarest fish in the world, but they are amazing to look it. I broke down and bought one even though I didn't need one, it was beautiful. This one is great with white tips on the fins. Locally breed.

Other than that:
Salt Water Sting Rays

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'm not sure how rare freshwater flounder are but it was the first one I've ever seen at my lfs the other day, I thought it was pretty cool.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

It is not an Lfs, per say, but there is a better than average petco about 45 minutes from my house that carries some unusual fish - odessa barbs, the dwarf danios, blue eyed rice fish, thread fin rainbows, bumble bee gobies, and even the occasional stiphodon goby.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The LFS 10 minutes from me always has tons of rare fish, fresh and saltwater. The one guy there specializes in African cichlids but I don't know too much about them. He gets in all kids of wilds from Africa on a weekly basis. The had blue pearl shrimp a few weeks ago which I was very surprised to see. Too bad their prices are through the roof.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Redtail catfish! They get up to 180 lbs.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Dawn tetra's that I thought would look nice, until they began terrorizing every fish in the tank.
And I thought serpae tetra's were fin nipper's.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a cichlid sorry forget his name, when he gets excited all of his blue strips and his face turn dark black all in a couple seconds its amazing to see a fish change colors so fast , he is about half changed in this pic normally he is a lot lighter in color

here is a second pic he is a fast fish so its hard to get pics of him, more normal color here not excited.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g

Last edited by Aqguy; 03-11-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: pic
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

Redtail cats, peacock bass, silver gars, shovelnose catfish

a lot of fish that look cute when they are small then grow into monsters lol
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABE_LIMNOLOGY View Post
So a good friend of mine, who works at a LFS I go to..told me I should come in and check something out....Normally he knows what I'm interested/looking for and gives me heads up on shipments... Well he said someone dropped off a fish and if they would have called ahead of time we would have refused...this sparked my attention, because this place sells restricted fish and reptiles...so if they turned it down, it must be interesting. The next day I head over, and my buddy is there and he lit up, and pulled me over to this aquarium where I see this 3 1/2 foot Alligator Gar that someone didn't want anymore. Needless to say...I didn't buy it, but it was an incredible fish to see and i hope it finds a good home.

What crazy fish have you seen at your LFS...I'm sure there are ones that top this,so i'd love to hear them.

W
I've seen baby alligator gars and the two LFS nearby... 8" maybe. As tempted as I am, I don't have the space for 10k gallons needed to keep a full grown alligator gar.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

Peacock bass, shovelnose catfish, 4ft long plecos, dogfish puffers, and some kind of needlefish
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
There are no lfs left around here, large stores pushed them out, nearest I know of is 2 hours drive x.x. We have a Petco and a Petsmart... both think its fine to give 'algae eaters' regular tropical flake food....
The Petco by me had some new additions around their fish sale time including electric blue german rams, golden wonder killies, blind cave tetras? (or some eye-less schooling fish), also a blue and a vanilla lobster. I saw a galaxy pleco over a year ago but someone bought it before I could get back to grab it after researching which type it was and its needs.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

My LFS has a $500 zebra pleco that some guy told them he wanted but has yet to show up with the cash after it being there a couple of weeks. Cute little 3 incher and all it does is hide under the driftwood. The guys at the store said I could have it for $400! Uh----- NO THANKS! They said they want to get some Life Insurance on it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

Mine never have anything so I always bulk order online.The prices LFS's charges if I get more than 2 fish the first pays for itself in shippping alone, everything else is a 'deal'.

Tags
alligator gar, lfs, lfs visit, stores, story

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode