Fiberglass ok for inside tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fiberglass ok for inside tank?

I bought some fiberglass screen from lowes the other day and used it to reduce my light levels. I was looking at it and it's the perfect size for a filter guard. Just wondering if this stuff is ok to be in the water. I don't want it to leech anything that will harm fish, shrimp, and my plants obviously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clincoln9 View Post
I bought some fiberglass screen from lowes the other day and used it to reduce my light levels. I was looking at it and it's the perfect size for a filter guard. Just wondering if this stuff is ok to be in the water. I don't want it to leech anything that will harm fish, shrimp, and my plants obviously.
I wouldn't just in-case

Here's what it can do to humans in the air
Quote:
Fiberglass will irritate the eyes, skin, and the respiratory system. Potential symptoms include irritation of eyes, skin, nose, throat, dyspnea (breathing difficulty); sore throat, hoarseness and cough.[16] Scientific evidence demonstrates that fiber glass is safe to manufacture, install and use when recommended work practices are followed to reduce temporary mechanical irritation.
So i wouldn't imagine it gets any nicer submerged in water.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was actually trying to find an answer and found that thread. I thought the same thing at first, but realized that type of fiberglass is the kind used for insulation. The fluffy stuff in your attic. This mesh though isn't like that it's meant for window screens. I'm thinking the way this fiberglass is made is different? I've been handling it for the light diffuser and I've had no ill effects

This stuff:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49314-55-300...berglass|Black

Last edited by clincoln9; 03-10-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added link

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
I've used it in tanks in the past but it eventually breaks down. I wouldn't use it in a shrimp tank.

Would probably be a better idea to use plastic craft mesh (for cross-stitch projects and such).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

+1 on the plastic craft mesh, it's easy to cut and shape and is perfect for keeping shrimp out of filters, I use it in multiple tanks. It's about $2 for an 8x11 sheet at Michaels.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the help. I'll get some plastic craft mesh and use that instead

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode