is this a decent setup for selling some aquarium plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
is this a decent setup for selling some aquarium plants

every spring my mom does a plant sale (veggies mostly). since I have got a little planted tank crazy I was considering selling some aquarium plants in addition to what she sells since i help her run it anyways. i also want something as well that i can use to grow up some plants for going into my other tanks and something to hold my prunings from.

once her seedlings are big enough and its warm enough for them to be outside i can use her grow lamps. 48 inch t12 and t8 lights (twin bulb fixtures) and i have at least one tub already so my investment is very little up front.

this is what i am considering setting up:

2 tubs to start with

an air stone running to each off of the pump that runs my 30 gallon. it is rated for either 70 or 80 gallons. wondering if a couple cheap sponge filters are a better idea?

pea gravel or some other cheap alternative to hold things down

1 or 2 of the grow lights over the tubs. thinking one should be sufficient without farming algae.

i have 3 tanks and will use what i vac out of those for most of the nutrients with some if not any extra ferts. will be starting with easier plants that i have already. wisteria, hornwort, anacharis, duckweed, all my extra java ferns. the duckweed i will just throw in a shallow tub outside in the sun though.

any advice/critique is greatly appreciated. i'm not looking to get rich doing this but some extra money would be nice to at least help pay for the hobby. i also don't like the idea of tossing my overgrowth out. probably the best part of being single again after 6 years is not hearing, "hell no!".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't do duckweed, go with one of the other better floating plants. Have a look to see what your LFS is usually selling and try to grow something different. Advertise on your Facebook page.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was planning on another type of floater like frogbit. my mom likes duckweed in her pond and I have some in another tank so I am going to grow up a batch of that anyway when she gets it running again here soon.

as long as these two people buy my holey rock and terrarium today I can upgrade the light on my 55 and depending what I can grow with that will determine what i will grow up to sell. trying to stick to easier stuff since i am pretty new to planted tanks. had good luck so far which has never been the case. haven't tried plants since i was about 15 (15 years ago).

i am planning on a trip to a couple lfs to see what all they have here soon to give me a better idea. like i said i am not trying to get rich or too crazy and end up out a bunch of money. just have more to offer at her sale this year for aquatic plants than just a few water lilies and mini cattail.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i forgot i want to mention again if just an air stone running to each tub is sufficient or if a sponge filter running to each is a better idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode