Cloudiness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudiness

I just set up my first planted tank. It is 100 gallons and I used miracle grow and pool sand for the base. I have had it running for a week but still have some cloudiness. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
your tank is cycling so its normal for it to be a little cloudy this will pass.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
I just set up my first planted tank. It is 100 gallons and I used miracle grow and pool sand for the base. I have had it running for a week but still have some cloudiness. Any suggestions?
Actual cloudiness (like white water) isn't normal for a cycle. It's probably dust from the sand that didn't get washed off, if you washed it. When I set up my 5 gallon, I used Flourite Black and the water was always crystal clear throughout the entire cycle.

Put tons of filter floss in the filter to catch the particles. In addition, do a daily water change to remove the cloudy water and replace it with clear water. It doesn't really matter if there's nothing in the tank, or just plants. It's cycling so I assume there are no fish in there... It probably doesn't matter other than for your sake of wanting to enjoy the tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Actual cloudiness (like white water) isn't normal for a cycle. It's probably dust from the sand that didn't get washed off, if you washed it. When I set up my 5 gallon, I used Flourite Black and the water was always crystal clear throughout the entire cycle.
That's because you used fluorite.

Cloudiness is common in a new dirted tank. Your dirt has to get biologically stabilized for its new aquatic environment. There are a ton of free nutrients floating around in your tank right now (miracle grow is probably overkill) and the bacteria in there is having a nice big party. If you want to speed things up, throw in some floating plants to soak up excess ferts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
And don't do water changes when your tank is cycling. That is completely counter-productive. Guppy*5 is giving you high tech tank advice. In a dirted tank, cycling starts before any fish go in because of the high nutrient content of soil.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode