My 300 gallon FINALLY planted! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 300 gallon FINALLY planted!

A little more than a year ago I tore down my reef tank. My pride and joy. I had built the ultimate, nearly self sustaining high tech tank complete with multiple sumps, refugium's, nearly every gadget I could buy and the tank was nothing short of spectacular. Tearing it down and selling off livestock wasn't easy . But as people came over to take the jewels that I had made such an extreme effort to grow, I had Amano's book on the bar to look at and look forward to the next evolution of my tank. Some of the people asked why I was tearing it down and I would typically say "I'm sick of the energy bill" (3200 watts of light and over 6,000 gallons/hr water flows. Plug that into your light socket ) The other part of it, I was bored. Been there, done that, success, next. I showed some of these people what I was planning. They would look fairly uninterested. Must be a reefer thing. But it was definately that book that kept me inspired.

The tank will eventually be stocked with discus and a large school of rummy nose. As far as equipment I'm running 2 filstar xp3's and an xp4. I added a booster pump to the xp4 and it's working great. DIY co2 reactor, Aqua UV, Aquacontroller. I'm a tech junky so I'm putting in place full automation. I currently have water changes automated complete with dosing the w/c water with potassium bicarbonate to raise kh. I'm setting up a pressurized system to auto-dose ferts. My goal is to go 1 month hands off.

This is my first planted tank and I had no delusion that I could create something at Amano's level but it was certainly my goal. Since I planted last week I've had my hands in there 4 times moving stuff around. I think I'm ok with the results. I'll just have to let it grow in a bit. I'm very anxious to see how stuff grows up and around the manzanita. I tied java moss to the manzanita and I'm still looking for bolbitus heudoloti to tie to the driftwood.

Anyway I'll try to attach some pictures to this message.

Steve
Attached Images

"Man has emerged from the depths of antiquity with a peregrine on his wrist."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Wow its in the wall too... freakin awesome. Those are HUGE manzanita branches...get more color in there also.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Oh Oh... better subscribe to this one!

More PICS please!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
You are off to a great start. How much light are you using and what kind?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow - tanks in the wall always bowl me over. And 300 gallons - that's a lot of plants! Love the color of the wood.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
wow , awesome behind a bar!...get drunk with friends and fish
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I wonder how a carpet of HC would look like in a tank like that....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Planted Member

WOW! I would kill to have that tank.

most def add some moss to the wood, maybe some java fern too! It will give it a lush look

Destinee
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 AM

Looks great!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Oh man, if I had a setup like that, I don't think I would get a damn thing accomplished. I think I would just sit in one of those bar stools with a beer in one hand relishing in the fact that I have such a gorgeous bar and tank.

One thing that I would like to see is larger pictures. I would also like to see the guts of your setup (other side of the wall).

Thats a thing of bueaty, and the tank looks nice too .

I definately want to see how this one progresses.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Now that is a great way to entertain and get the conversation going about the tank. Tanks that are stuck away in a sideroom or where you cannot sit and chat in front of them seldomly get much viewing time from guests or even ourselves.

I love the wood positioning. Large tanks look nice with large hardscape.

Nice start and I only have one suggestion for you, get a LOT of fast growers to give youself a fair shot at algae free anubias. New tanks are hard to get balanced , even the big ones and it looks like you have a lot of beautiful nube's in there that will be the first to take a hit if you err one side or the other on lighting/ferts/CO2 balance.
The fast growing stems need not stay, just use them as a tool. They dont even need to be planted, they can just float and grow and help you control deficiencies.

Beautiful setup and geat decision to go planted ! You got bored with the reefer because they dont change weekly like a planted tank...

I got my eye on this one...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words! I will definately continue posting pics as the tank develops. Unfortunatlety my skills with a camera are not so great. How big can the pictures be?

biscuitslayer, Yea it's all encompassing right now. I spend just as much time behind the tank tinkering as I do in front of it.

Thanks Buck. Yes I'm very consious of the algae potential which is why I chose some fast growers and a lot of them. My Ozelots, Anubias and the Amazon's all came in as mother plants with new shoots all over them. I almost didn't have enough room for all that I ordered. One suggestion that was made to me by a very good friend that I trust is to not start dosing ferts right away. Just light and c02 until the roots get somewhat established. What's your take on that?

JHipkin. Walnut Creek my old stomping grounds! Lighting is 400 watts pc flourescents 10 hrs. 4x250 watt 6500K MH 6 hrs. Anyone with suggestions changing this configuration I'm all ears. I'm still getting used to this low lighting thing

Steve

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Wow, 900 watts on a large tank is not low lighting in the freshwater world. You should be able to grow anything you want with that much light plus CO2, and ferts. I'm jealous.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Actually thats 1400 watts JH, might want to check you math lol. Thats a lot of light, man I hope your co2 and ferts are in order and you dont have algae... good luck!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The low light comment was kind of a joke. I know that'a a lot of light for a planted tank. The idea is to get the intensity up to penetrate the 30" depth and then play with the duration. One interesting thing I can see happening already though is I'm getting a some quick algae growth towards the top of the branch. Logical since it's only inches away from the surface. I'm on my way to the lfs to get some siamensis. A little sooner than I thought.

Steve

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode