Titanium Tank Safe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Titanium Tank Safe?

So this might be a crazy question and seem a little out of the ordinary but is titanium safe to use in an aquarium? I work as a medical sales rep selling medical grade titanium screws and plates to fix broken bones and have been thinking about using a few screws to hold a few pieces of wood together for a strong, secure hold. I do know titanium screws might sound crazy but I can easily use a few as I have extras available.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Yep, probably better then stainless steel as titanium is an inert element.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, should be.

We've got those titanium heaters, and a few other odds and ends made out of titanium that are even good for marine aquariua use.

One of the reasons it is commonly used inside of people

Out of curiosity, what's the rough/general cost on those? I imagine if they are intended for medical use they are going to be quite a bit more expensive then they wood be otherwise.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They run around $60-$120 a screw depending on size and kind but I have some lying around so why not right!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
They should work fine. Years ago I had a heater that used a titanium heating element. It was an industrial grade heater, and just about indestructible compared to the stuff you see today. I used it on a SW system.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Goog to know DaveK

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Planted Member

Very expensive...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
If its good to be in your body I can't imagine why it wouldn't be aquarium safe......

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Yep, probably better then stainless steel as titanium is an inert element.

v3
Hehe, couldn't help myself from making a slight correction here.

Titanium itself isn't inert. Actually, it oxidizes rapidly. But like Aluminum, its oxidized form is extremely unreactive. So Titanium essentially "protects" itself in a skin of Titanium Dioxide.

End result? The same.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 AM

Lightbulb Titanium Items in Fish Tank

Hi all
I was considering doing something totally different in our fish tank. I was wanting to do an industrial type theme then thought about actual items to put into tank.
If i could get hold of some faulty titanium implants?? even like hips, should blades. I know it sounds creepy but I wouldnt display as such, but wanting to create a scrap metal type look in the tank. Not the boring plant theme, and cant find any suitable ornaments.
What do you think?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I came into the hobby through a different door than many who are plant keepers with fish as a side. In cichlid tanks there are so many more folks open to using the odd items that there is a world of difference in attitude. On this forum the prevailing thoughts are concern over even a few bits of this or that like metal. People may be keeping far more sensitive animals or just not really gotten into what can be done in or to a tank.

In the cichlid world it is not at all unusual to find tanks with almost any kind of debris. Some intend to make the tank "natural" by adding cans and bottles for trash. Others use an old bike frame while still others use things that remind them of their favorite hobby. One discussion I remember was how to keep a surfboard down in the tank.

The considered opinion on cichlid-forum seemed to be that it should be cleaned of oil, grease or wax but from there it is pretty open season. It's not like a titanium hip joint is going to be much worse than a metal impeller shaft or two. Just keep the water changed and I see no harm.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan M View Post
Hi all
I was considering doing something totally different in our fish tank. I was wanting to do an industrial type theme then thought about actual items to put into tank.
If i could get hold of some faulty titanium implants?? even like hips, should blades. I know it sounds creepy but I wouldnt display as such, but wanting to create a scrap metal type look in the tank. Not the boring plant theme, and cant find any suitable ornaments.
What do you think?
yup,, that does sound creepy...lol

Fraternity of Dirt #167

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode