updated pics of my aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
updated pics of my aquarium

I would like opinions, to me my aquarium is all jumbled with different types of plants. Some grow well, some dont. I am trying to aquascape it to look really really good. but im not having very much luck. The really light green plant towards the right of my tank wont grow to save my life, But I was thinking of getting more of the grassy plant and putting alot more of that in as a background. But I am so indecisive that I cant decide what to do, so I would like opinions. And if you have pics of stuff you recomend that would really really help.....I do not have co2 right now. and I am only using 10000k 65 watt lights at the moment. and yes i have a crappy picture background.....lol

better pics. down below.

Destinee

Last edited by Destinee; 01-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks like your plants are growing OK but that background will distort any kind of "aquascaping" vision you might have. Go for a solid background color of your choosing and things will seem a whole lot easier to get the look you want.
To start, just take the plants that you like and grow well and work with them. You can always get more plants to fill in. Dont try to "make" things work, you either like them or you dont, they grow for you or they dont and if you are not sure of either...ditch it.

Only then, will you find peace...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
You've got some cool plants in there (and clown loaches - can't go wrong there!). Plus, the tanks big and gives you lots of options. Everything just looks kind of jumbled - like you said - not much order but lots of species. It looks a lot like my tank right now. I can't help with the aquascaping, but in terms of growing the plants that are hard to grow, what light, CO2, ferts are you using?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a pic without the background, better to see? I could really use some advice. I have a coralreef 65 watt light on it, with 2 10000k watt lights.

I have no co2

and I use florish excel when I think about it. ( I know not enough, but im honest about it, I dont know how often im supposed to do it, so I do it when i think about it.)

Destinee
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First, the new photos are much better. The removal of that background was a great start.

Expect plant survival to be very hit-n-miss in your tank. Heck, it's the same way even for folks who use CO2 and "super substrates". The reality is that your gravel is not ideal for root-feeding plants like those crypts. It looks a bit too "clean". Let the mulm collect down there to give them a better shot (and that still may not be enough).

The tank looks like a 55 gal... That has got to be one of the toughest to scape because it's so darn lanky. You only have 12 inches of depth contrasted to 4 feet of length. Run a seach for other 55 gallon tank journals to get some ideas. Be aware that your equipment will not likely yield a lush ground-cover. Most of your plants are going to grow tall and thin, so plan around that.

...and stick to plants that don't require a fertile substrate. Plants like hygrophila (various species), elodea, coon tail.....might even be able to pull off some nice valisneria.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah unfortunatly my gravel stinks. I didnt start it out to be a planted tank, I used to have all fake stuff in it, then saw amanos tanks and fell in love. my substrate is 1/2 regular aquarium gravel and 1/2 flourite gravel. I am planning on getting the eco complete soon, but I want to get better lighting and co2 and better filters before I do that. But thanks for the advice I will def look at other 55 gallons scapes and try and figure something out to make my tank look better.

Destinee
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM

I really like the strong visual impact of the driftwood on the right. Perhaps place it off center near the middle. I find it distracting on the far end. Then it could be your focal point - especially when the plants start really growing on it. I started a tread about my lack of design ability very recently. Check it out to get articles on aquascaping principles.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 AM

Those pics are much better Destinee ! The balansaes in the middle seem to be growing very nicely for you and just for grins and giggles, try shifting that wood piece behind them a bit to accent them. Just a thought...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well see, I have 3 pieces of wood in my tank, the one on the left with jave fern and dwarf anubuis on it, the one in the very middle that looks like dying moss, (which has the moss attached to it, and for some reason is not growing well, I bought it from the store with BEAUTIFUL moss all on it,. and then it all turned brownish. so I trimmed it, hopefully it will come back beautiful again, which I dont understand because my tank used to be nothing but moss and java fern, then I took the plants out.), and last but not least the one on the left. which I dont really like at all. I might take all the wood out except the one on the right....Not sure yet, but I will try what you guys said.

Destinee
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 AM

This might help with deciding where to put the driftwood:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/aquascapingprincipals.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Planted Member

Have you considered putting in some taller driftwood to give the tank more vertical appeal???

You can make your own driftwood designs by screwing smaller pieces together, kind of like custom driftwood.

Some tall Amazon Swords would really go a long way as far as hiding the heater and the filter tubes. They also reproduce like crazy.

Your present driftwood looks beautiful. It would be nice if you could continue that trend.

Keep us posted.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got new driftwood. We found it this past summer at the lake. I am soaking it now. But I dont know which way I want to put it into the aquarium....Which do yall like?

Destinee
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the first and third wood position the best. The middle one looks like some kind of deformed tadpole/frog trying to jump off of your dryer.

I'm a newbie right along with you. Your tank is off to a good start from what I can see.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the third position, but would angle it up even more by burying the thick end a bit.

I also might be tempted to cut it in half and have two vertical pieces.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I like the third, maybe prob it up even more so the tip is higher up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode