New to forum, got the bug, need some suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to forum, got the bug, need some suggestions

I swore off Multi Tank Syndrome years ago but its beginning again. I had a planted aquapod ~ 9 years ago, with multiple cichlid tanks...then went straight into SW reef (which was like having a diaper after 8 years)...said I would never fool with the hobby again. Then at the end of last year I went and bought a 90g and started a Tropheus tank. I bought a Finnex Fugeray planted + for just the lighting tone alone (the yellow bands of the Ikola)...and knowing that they are not plant friendly. Perhaps this was a subconscious move to get back into planted tanks. Anyway I went out and bought some anubias/java fern to at least utilize such a great light

Well now I have the bug to go out and buy one of these low iron 18inch cubes...buy another Finnex and pretty much obsess.

First on the Finnex I see that the planted plus is only 16 inches...however I could get a Ray2 that is 18. Would this put me into CO2 if I decided on the Ray2 d/t size?

Should I do an inline heater or just hide it?

Stocking -- I was thinking of either Apistos or GBR's with tetras, otos, cory's. Any suggestion on numbers in an 18cube.

What kind/size of canister should I get? (not fond of Rena's and do not want to fool with a sump/plumbing)

Any suggestions, alternatives, plant stocking..scape are welcome.

btw here is a pic of my 90g Tropheus tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

18" cube is not too far off 25 gallons.

Suggested stocking:
(1) pair Dwarf Cichlids (some Apitstos are colony breeders, research if there is enough floor space for these)
(1) school smallest Tetras, Dwarf Rasboras or something. Small, so you can get enough to make a nice school of at least a dozen.
(3) Otos

I would leave the bottom of the tank for the Apistos or Rams. Not add Cories or other bottom fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you would suggest rams over apistos d/t space requirements correct? I love cockatoo's though had some in a 29g before What substrate do you prefer? I have heard great things about the brown Red Seas stuff vs. Eco-Complete which I have used before.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I regret not going with an inline heater. So much better looking. Of course, if you've got old stick heaters lying around, and you're into DIY CO2, you have a pretty sweet still setup in the works.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Finnex does make a 20 inch planted plus. I have one on my tank that is only 18 inches wide. It works fine just have to be careful to make sure the legs are on the rim of the tank before letting go. But if it's an 18 inch cube you might want to get the ray II. Check the par data and compare it to how high you plan to have the substrate. The legs on the finnex give it about 2 inches more so on a bare bottom tank you are at 20 inches from the fixture. It all depends on the plants you want and if you want to do co2. Carpeting plants Ray II.

Edit: Fugeray and Ray II par data

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by dubels; 03-06-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Reason
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubels View Post
Finnex does make a 20 inch planted plus. I have one on my tank that is only 18 inches wide. It works fine just have to be careful to make sure the legs are on the rim of the tank before letting go. But if it's an 18 inch cube you might want to get the ray II. Check the par data and compare it to how high you plan to have the substrate. The legs on the finnex give it about 2 inches more so on a bare bottom tank you are at 20 inches from the fixture. It all depends on the plants you want and if you want to do co2. Carpeting plants Ray II.

Edit: Fugeray and Ray II par data
A single Ray2 DS would not put me in high tech would it...it looks like its in the 30's at 18inch depth...I had kessils on my reef at the end...I was also considering a a150 amazon sun. Can you have carpet plants without CO2?

I am considering the 20in planted plus thanks for the input...there is at least an inch on each side of my 48inch planted plus before the led panel starts. I have used the 48in Ray 2 DB on a peacock/hap tank. I like their fixtures power vs price.

What kind of canister for a 18cube? eheim?

Last edited by wharfrat; 03-06-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additional info
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump ...anybody know if a single Ray 2 DS would put me into high tech on a 18"h tank and if carpeting plants are high tech only?

Tags
18 cube, canister, finnex, stocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode