Need Ideas for Floating Plants with a Canister Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need Ideas for Floating Plants with a Canister Filter

Hi all,

I have been struggling with this for a little bit now, searching high and low, and finding every argument for surface agitation, for no surface agitation, and everything in between.

I have a 36G Community Tank, with corydoras, guppies, zebra danios, a pleco, frogs and snails, and will have marbled hatchet, neon tetras.

My filter is a canister filter, Penn Plax Cascade 700. I also have a small Hydor Koralia 240 circulation pump.

I'm trying to set up my canister filter to play nice with my floating Amazon Frogbit. I have tried the outlet nozzle, but that blew the floating plants all around, shoved them to a corner. I tried isolating them with airline tubing, but that didn't work.

I've tried with a spray bar, but that too seems to be blowing them around.

I have pressurized CO2, high light/tech, medium-high planted (will have all plants tomorrow). I love the frogbit, and want to avoid getting a new filter or an air pump, if I can. There must be some configuration I can setup to accommodate floating plants with a canister filter?

I've thought of no surface agitation, only having floating plants on half the tank (is this better than the whole thing?) by using fish line, point the spray bars straight down while still having them 1" under water...

What am I missing here?

I've attached a YouTube video link here of my tank with a handful of Amazon Frogbit, most of the other plants are fake (real coming tomorrow).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My salvina didn't have any issues with my spray bar. When I changed that out for a violet outflow the current misses them completely since it's angled down beneath the surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is one looooooong spray bar! I have no issues with my floating plants because my bars are shorter and tend to move the surface in a circular motion. You could either try shortening the spray bar (cut but add extra holes!!!) or just lower it and have it point down 45*. Use your power head for surface current in this case. hope this helps.

Only bad things happen quickly.
A little allot is better than allot a little.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can just angle your spray bar. It doesn't have to be straight down. I have a hydor nano 426, a canister spray bar and a Aquaclear 70. All on a 29g. My frog bit doesn't move much. Only surface agitation I get is fr the AC70

Sent from my Nexus 5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode