40breeder fish or reptile? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
40breeder fish or reptile?

During the petco sale in Oct. my boyfriend grabbed a 55g and a 40breeder for me but can't remember if the 40 was in the reptile section or the fish section and I'm trying to figure out (just for fun) if the 40g could be an aquarium or if I should just move my gecko into it...
I looked online and couldn't find a list of their sizes or anything so I was wondering if anyone here know a good way to tell without testing it and seeing if it breaks everywhere. lol

Thanks

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a reptile tank 40gal that specifically states all over it that it is for reptiles and not fish. I have a feeling that the glass might be a little thinner or the silicone seals aren't made as well. Does your 40 have a brace on the bottom beneath the bottom pane of glass?

You could always slowly fill what you think is the aquarium outside and see how it holds up. I would do that before testing it in the house.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
The pet store I worked at only sold 40 breeders for fish which we used for reptiles also. Other size tanks which were reptile only usually had dimensions that differed from fish tank, usually shallower. So what are the dimensions of the tank and thickness of the glass.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
There should be a label on the tank stating something about not for water or something like that. It's usually a separate label just like the QC (Quality Control) label. You should see this label on the bottom glass, in between the frame and glass. If you set the tank as normal, you should be able to see it from the top.

FYI, Petco usually sells 40 breeders for aquarium only. It maybe just placed in the reptile section just for space concerns.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
ONLY REPTILES, the glass is extremely thin and will not hold water
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
FYI, Petco usually sells 40 breeders for aquarium only. It maybe just placed in the reptile section just for space concerns.
I agree. when I inquired during that $1/gal sale, that's exactly what I found out to be true, so unless the tank was specifically sold as a "critter cage" it's probably fish aquarium safe to use. It's just a 36x18" bottom is a more popular size for reptiles and rodents, then for fish, so they display it more in the reptile area.

I don't understand why you even bother asking us here. if you know when and where he bought it, just call the store, speak to the department manager, and get the answer that way. they won't sell two types of glass tanks with the same dimensions

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
It's probably the aquatic version. I bought 2 of them during that sale.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, dimensions are 36x18x16"
There are no stickers on the bottom saying not for aquarium use, the big (AGA brand) sticker back says aquarium 90 times (but that could just be a generic sticker used on everything...)
It's quite heavy which is why I thought, originally, that it might not be a reptile tank, the glass seems thick.

I hate to say this but if I believed their customer service to be decent I would call and ask about the tanks but I really don't. Out of the maybe 6 up here in north county I've only had an experienced person to talk to twice, at two locations and it was the same person (they shift people around a lot, here at least) and I'm talking about the last 10 years...
In the past when I have called for anything other than wondering what was on the fish sales board I have been put on hold forever or transfered and never answered, I even applied to work in one a few years ago and the manager told me that I would be bad for business because I knew too much (than again it was the same location I was asked to leave from, for helping a father with a reptile question).

I know a bunch of people here work at Petcos all around the US and know their stuff and I'm really glad about that, it's nice to know that their are knowledgeable people working at places where they can help people out but my experiences have kind of put me off with Petco (and Petsmart too). I still go from time to time but for most my fish needs I go to my LFS... even there I don't always get the best info (unless I talk to the owner) and they seem to have new guys pretty often also.

Ok, sorry about that guys... little rant about calling. lol
By the way, I hate using the phone, it's almost a phobia of mine, and bad customer service really makes it worse (for instance, I will not call walmart, I've tried a few times and never get a good result so I give up!)

Sorry about the rambling.

-Cassie S.
But I'm working on that!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the glass is 3/16" thick, that would be a good sign that it's mean for aquarium use. Most tanks of that size range use 3/16" glass. Though you should check the silicone seal as well. If it were me, I'd check those two things, then fill it up in a safe place just to be sure.

And don't pay attention to Spypet. He doesn't believe in posting questions, only in using the search function.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 PM

It's for aquariums. I believe reptile AGA stickers are different looking also.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone!
I'll probably just end up using it for my Leopard Gecko so I can use the tank she is in for a vivarium (used to be my fav. tank but the back cracked so no more aquarium use *sniffle*) because she doesn't really use the height of it anyway.
I was thinking for a second of using the 40 in my office instead of the 20g tall I have been planning on using, but I don't think I want that much water in here. hehe

Thanks again

-Cassie S.
But I'm working on that!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 AM

FYI, for reference...

Tanks designed specifically for reptiles should have a label similar to this...

As I stated above, the label is between the glass and bottom frame. The label can be seen looking down on the tank.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome! Thank you so much for doing that
My 40g is fish safe it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
FYI, for reference...

Tanks designed specifically for reptiles should have a label similar to this...

As I stated above, the label is between the glass and bottom frame. The label can be seen looking down on the tank.

-Cassie S.
But I'm working on that!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode