I'm back in the game, and everything died - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm back in the game, and everything died

HA shoot!

After I don't know how many years of running aquariums of all sorts, I stopped for a few years.

On a whim, I bought a 15 gallon cube, and started getting it going.

I dumped 6 neon tetras in to start the cycle, everything was cool for a few days.

I realized I had spaced on the heater and it's cold in here, so I added a small heater, and brought the temp up to 75.

All but 1 neon exploded. Also, I tested my tap pH and it's off the charts at 8.xx almost 9 YOWSERS

I guess it's time to pull out the RO machine... was hoping I could get away with tap, but I guess not.

Opinion on my mass fish funerals? Heated up too fast? OR neons are just weak any way and they died?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
You dumped them in a tank which probably had drastically different parameters from the one they were in at the store. I've read neons (and most fish, I suppose) don't do well when having a traumatic event occur like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Under construction.

Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You probably shouldn't have tried to cycle your tank with fish, but given the fact that you went this route, you should've chosen a hardier species like zebra danios and maybe only 2-3 tops. If I were you, I'd skip trying to cycle your tank using fish and go with a fishless cycle. You can spend a month or so working on your scenery (rocks, plants, driftwood, etc.) and have a nice set-up ready when your tank is actually ready for fish.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
You probably shouldn't have tried to cycle your tank with fish, but given the fact that you went this route, you should've chosen a hardier species like zebra danios and maybe only 2-3 tops. If I were you, I'd skip trying to cycle your tank using fish and go with a fishless cycle. You can spend a month or so working on your scenery (rocks, plants, driftwood, etc.) and have a nice set-up ready when your tank is actually ready for fish.
yeah true.. I figure if they die, then that just helps my filter do it's thing.

Funny thing, the one little fish left popped right back up and is cruisin all over. Monitoring ammonia carefully over the next week. Also I put a couple of ghost shrimp in to find the bodies as I have the small bottom very covered.

More than once have I sacrificed cheap fish to get the filter kick started, I was amazed they made it the first 7 days as good as they did before heating the tank, which made me wonder.. It can be no coincidence for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
You dumped them in a tank which probably had drastically different parameters from the one they were in at the store. I've read neons (and most fish, I suppose) don't do well when having a traumatic event occur like this.
And I think you are right. I would also add that Neons might not be harvested in a great way. They are probably stressed to begin with, poor things.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-05-2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, your fish didn't have the conditions that neon tetras thrive in and so they failed to thrive. Instead of breaking out the RO system, maybe look into fish that do well in really hard water (is your water hard or does it just have a really high pH? this is important). Even some more sensitive fish can adapt if you change conditions slowly. Neons also seem to die kind of easily though so don't beat yourself up to much. It's a learning experience! Now you know what not to do next time!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful View Post
Yeah, your fish didn't have the conditions that neon tetras thrive in and so they failed to thrive. Instead of breaking out the RO system, maybe look into fish that do well in really hard water (is your water hard or does it just have a really high pH? this is important). Even some more sensitive fish can adapt if you change conditions slowly. Neons also seem to die kind of easily though so don't beat yourself up to much. It's a learning experience! Now you know what not to do next time!
Thought about that. Also, tested my GH and KH today. KH is high at between 120 and 180, and GH is 0 to 30.

So then, what thrives in high ph, high KH... both plants and fish. I loaned all of my reference books to my wifes brother, which I need to retrieve.

I do have an RO setup, it's been in my shed for a few years, and I could easily install it under the sink, plus the water would be good for coffee
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
so the neons survived a week without a heater and when you installed one they died immediately?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
so the neons survived a week without a heater and when you installed one they died immediately?
Overnight, well 16 hours anyway. Also, our power went out last night for about 4 hours and it was cold as hell in here... who knows what contributed.

this morning, some were still alive, just at the bottom of the tank, and a couple up side down, but breathing. By 3, all but 1 stopped moving at all. What a trooper

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-05-2014 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode