Cursed tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cursed tank?

I've had this 10g tank for about 2 years now. It's a basic 10g with a zoomed 501, finnex fugeray r and airstone.

I lost a betta to dropsy last year, after that I took the tank down and re did it. Not knowing what was in the tank I thought better safe than sorry. After hours of storting eco complete and black sand, I did a rescape and it sat empty, but running for sometime. I mainly use it as a QT for my other tanks. I've nursed several fish back to health since redoing it. I had originally planned to move my betta out of the community 55g and into this one. Now I'm not so sure.

I put a dwarf gourami that had a mouth wound in there 2 weeks ago. I did a 1-2 gallon water change and cleaned the zoomed 501 hoses, I had some serious loss in flow (on sat). Yesterday the lights came on and I found the gourami dead. I put some time into the new scape (added some slope) and I don't really feel like sifting out the eco complete and sand again. I have no idea what killed the gourami. Since I had a cherry barb in the tank for 2 months while I worked on getting rid of the anchor worms it had. Which it's now healed and happy in the 55g. I'm not sure what to do with the tank. I don't know if cleaning the hoses and giving the sponge a good squeeze killed the gourami or if it's something else in the tank. If it was the hose and filter squeeze I feel pretty uneasy about putting another fish in the tank if it crashed that easy. I had zero ammonia in the tank, but that was testing after I found it dead yesterday.

I feel like this tank might have some bad tank joojoo. It's taking up some space I could use for more fish related item storage, but I like having a tank I can dump a fish into real quick if I need it. I guess I'm just talking out loud here. Have you ever had just a bad joojoo tank? I don't know if the zoomed 501 is the root of my problems or what.

thanks for reading my mental thought post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, reading this simplistically you said that you moved sick fish into it. The fact that they didn't survive, doesn't necessarily put a hex on the tank. They were stressed to begin with, moving them stressed them more. And as for what to do with the tank, I have severe MTS. So anything I offer here would only justify keeping the tank running, lol!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I don't think its a cursed tank, fish are always looking for new ways to die.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the fish in question was a dwarf gourami. It had a bite or wound mark to the right of it's mouth. I moved it to the 10g because I wasn't sure of the cause. Over a 2 week period, the wound got better, then all of a sudden dead. I didn't touch the media in the 501, just the hoses and rinsed the filter sponge. I had the heater off for about 10min while I did the water change. There are still 2 ghost shirmp in the tank that seem to be very hardy. They have been in there since day 1 lol.

I guess i'm trying to find justification to keep the tank up and running.

Pros
use it as a QT tank, and trimming tank for raok, nice just in case tank

cons
seems to kill every other fish
zoomed 501 might not be enough to filter this tank?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
what type of filter are you using with the tank - the zoomed 501? are you reusing the filter each time or replacing it? and what are you doing to keep it cycled between charges?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The only filtration on the tank is a zoomed 501 canister, with double media on the right side.

I only clean the thing when the flow starts to slow down a bunch or the hoses are completely brown. Then I just run my wire brush through them and squeeze the sponge in old tank water. I went with the zoomed 501 due to space limitations. I don't have room for a hob or true canister filter. I thought this would be a good idea based on TPT suggestions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't know about the filtration but I'd keep it up.

I left my 6 gal up w/ a few snails & java ferns so I would have a decent QT.

It's great for oto's - lot's of algae just waiting for them when I bring them home.

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just guessing here that even though the filter is running if there is no source of ammonia then you are losing the cycle. If this is the case when you add a fish to it it has problems right away with a uncycled tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode