xtm

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very simple planted tank setup.. need help

Hey guys,

Pardon my newbieness as I know very little about planted tanks. My setup is:

60 Gallon cube (24x24x24)
2x 65-watt PC lights (10K)
10 Neon Tetras, 5 Rasboras
Plain sand substrate (not using Flourite, Eco-Complete, etc.)
Literally 8 pieces of plants (Vals, Baby Tears, Java Moss...)

OK, here's the deal: I don't plan to compete in any aquascaping contests, don't want a lush growth, don't want to add any more plants, etc. I simply want the plants to LIVE.

So, besides regular water changes, do I need to do anything else to maintain this tank? Maybe dose Seachem Flourish? I figure that with the weak lighting, I can get away with no pressurized CO2, no?

By the way, I tried to read all over this site, including RexGriggs' site (good info!) but the KNO3+KNP+that thingamajig made my head hurt. I know Reef Chemistry really well but trying to learn this planted stuff is like starting from square one..lol

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to p3purr
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtm View Post
By the way, I tried to read all over this site, including RexGriggs' site (good info!) but the KNO3+KNP+that thingamajig made my head hurt.
I can relate to that!

Sounds like we both basically want the same things from a planted tank. Sorry I can't be any help, I'm still learning the basics.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you want them to just live, more than likely you'll be fine with your setup. The fish load will help fertilize the plants along with the food the fish don't eat. The lighting will help the plants to photosynthesize and the water already gets Co2 from the air but not at a rapid enough rate for a heavily planted tank. For yours it would be fine. Only thing you may have problems with down the road is deficiencies in your baby tears but maybe not. Java Moss will grow in almost any condition and vals I believe are fairly easy plants to keep.
Hope that helps and good luck with your tank

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
xtm

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for your help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
When i first get into this hobby. I only want my plant to live. Later, i want them to grown, and grown quickly.

All the plant you have in there are low light plant, so i think you are doing fine with 2 wpg. Later, you might want to add excel or Co2 to provide more grown
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Deeper tank. PC lighting. Your baby tears will probably grow all funky because the tank is a bit deeper.

2 WPG on a 60 gallon tank isn't that little light, actually. You might be able to get away with just dosing Excel and Flourish, but only time will tell in the battle against algae.

So for now: use your current setup. Get some Excel. Dose it. See what happens.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones2015 View Post
If you want them to just live, more than likely you'll be fine with your setup. The fish load will help fertilize the plants along with the food the fish don't eat. The lighting will help the plants to photosynthesize and the water already gets Co2 from the air but not at a rapid enough rate for a heavily planted tank. For yours it would be fine. Only thing you may have problems with down the road is deficiencies in your baby tears but maybe not. Java Moss will grow in almost any condition and vals I believe are fairly easy plants to keep.
I don't think fish food alone will be enough to supplement the plants. It provides for most of the nutrients, but fish food doesn't contain everything. It doesn't hurt to dose ferts 1-2 times every week.

Edit: And occassionally stop dosing to let the nutrients level out.

As well, with lower lighting, the pace of things that could go wrong is reduced.

You can control the photo-period, fish food amount, excel and ferts to battle algae.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones2015 View Post
1) Fish load...fish food? Fertilizer? No.
2) Lighting helps plants photosynthesize...well, of course.
3) Dissolution of ambient CO2 into tank water is negligible and not even at a "rapid enough rate" for a lightly planted tank, much less a heavy one. Take a low light tank, inject CO2. You'll see improved plant health despite the same light levels. CO2 is the limiting factor in most tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode