First tank - ready to start -with MGOPM - heres my list and questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
First tank - ready to start -with MGOPM - heres my list and questions

I hope to start my first planted tank this weekend. It will have MGOPM capped with black diamond from another tank Ive torn down.

equipment =
40B, 36 fugeray, Eheim pro II, Eheim jaeger 150, pressureized c02 with reactor.

MGOPM, Black diamond, Osmocote plus.

I plan to was out the MGOPS in a large tub, and screen off the floating stuff. How else should I prep the MGOPS?

Hills - I plan to use rocks and river gravel left over from my walkway outside, with egg crate to form the two slopes I will need. Pack the MGOPS on that a inch or two thick. (I bought extra I have 2 bags) then cap with black diamond. Any tips here? SHoudl I just make the hill all dirt instead?

I also plan to bury some sort of driftwood branch in the let mound, coming out of the hill. Maybe manzanita. Does this have to be done before the cap is added, or can it be "stuck" in afterward? Is is best to add the branch, then form the MGOPS around it?

Once I get plants in , other than the osmocote plus - what more fertilizer would I need? Something like flourish? If so, what type?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can pretty much use the MGOCPM straight out of the bag. I've done it with one tank, and after a couple months a few bigger pieces of wood/bark appeared on the surface.

Didn't really bother me, but I sifted it for the next tank.

The only real prep I did was sifting out the really big chunks, and putting the MGOCPM in a bucket and adding some water to it the day before/that morning. My stuff had been sitting around for a year, so it had mostly dried out. If your's is fresh/moist, this is probably unnecessary.

As to the driftwood, I'm a big fan of bolting them onto a slate tile - it makes sure the wood doesn't float, and gives it some stability too. Although, it doesn't allow for much manipulation/modification, so figure out how you want it before you bolt it to the slate.

As to set up, I'd stick the wood/slate on the bottom, add your MGOCPM, push it around and try and get it properly distributed and as much air out as possible. Add the cap, plant, mist with spray bottle, and fill.

I'm not certain about how to handle a hill in a dirted tank, I would think you would want to use inert material for the bulk, but not sure aside from that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds real good! I just bought MG today and sand last week. All I need is the Saf-T-Sorb to mix with the MG.

I bought this roll of 1/4" metal wire grid to make a sieve out of for the MG. So only pieces 1/4" diagonal, I think, will pass through. I'm going to do that first, and I was planning to wash it in water and see what floats up, too, but I think I will pass on that since it feels like the MG is in very good condition. Watch out for that dried chicken poop! I would do the dry sieve before the water.

I'm not so sure about the principles of using Saf-T-Sorb or Kitty Litter, but they have a very high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) which locks up soluble fertilizers coming out of the MG so plants can use them later. Supposed to increase the life of the MG.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode