Top Glass? Yes or no - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Top Glass? Yes or no

Ive been keeping a high tech planted aquarium for over 10 years.

I would like peoples opinion on having no glass, some glass, fully covered top glass...

I have found no glass great but I have lost a few jumpy fish.

I like having some glass, meaning glass around the edges of the top only. Im thinking of having a custom piece of glass made that perfectly fits around the top edges of my tank and nicely fits around hardware....

With a tank fully covered I've always had temperature flux issues.

What do you like?

New setup May 14, 2017: standard 75g tank eheim 2215 (will add a second filter), 36" fluval planted 2.0, 36" planted + 24/7, marineland basic 36' LED, cycling tank now with a few neons, CO2 system (GLA reg, controller and aqariumplants.com reactor)

old Setup SOLD 2014: 90g planted and setup tank.
co2 system, dosing dry ferts 2-3 times a week, Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215 running through co2 reactor
aquarium plants.com co2 system, 10 young Indian flasher barbs (Rosline sharks)
20 cardinals

Last edited by mibsonG; 03-01-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

I love the look of open top tanks but all of mine i keep covered. I dont like having to deal with the evaporation and the possibility of jumpers. Usually when my tanks are covered the temp remains more constant than if they are uncovered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #153
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibsonG View Post
Ive been keeping a high tech planted aquarium for over 10 years.

I would like peoples opinion on having no glass, some glass, fully covered top glass...

I have found no glass great but I have lost a few jumpy fish.

I like having some glass, meaning glass around the edges of the top only. Im thinking of having a custom piece of glass made that perfectly fits around the top edges of my tank and nicely fits around hardware....

With a tank fully covered I've always had temperature flux issues.

What do you like?
Oh god no, no glass at -all. I have a tank with glass around around the edge and a hole in the middle. It annoys the heck out of me personally. . With open tops i do have the very very occasional suicidal jumper but that's about the only downside.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think glass round the edge. I have partially covered tanks and I think they work the best!
Good luck...

FISHY
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hyacinth View Post
Oh god no, no glass at -all. I have a tank with glass around around the edge and a hole in the middle. It annoys the heck out of me personally. . With open tops i do have the very very occasional suicidal jumper but that's about the only downside.
I know what you mean, but I was thinking custom glass in different sections allowing me to use a small handle to remove parts when I need to work on the tank.

New setup May 14, 2017: standard 75g tank eheim 2215 (will add a second filter), 36" fluval planted 2.0, 36" planted + 24/7, marineland basic 36' LED, cycling tank now with a few neons, CO2 system (GLA reg, controller and aqariumplants.com reactor)

old Setup SOLD 2014: 90g planted and setup tank.
co2 system, dosing dry ferts 2-3 times a week, Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215 running through co2 reactor
aquarium plants.com co2 system, 10 young Indian flasher barbs (Rosline sharks)
20 cardinals
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

Personally I have had both open and covered tanks. I really prefer the opened tank, however I chose to keep my tank covered with a glass top. With all the work involved in getting nice healthy fish introduced to your aquarium I hate to lose a jumper!!! Also, the tempeture is regulated and less evaporation. I will admitt a part if this is because my wife gets freaked out about fish flapping around on the floor when I'm at work
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibsonG View Post
I know what you mean, but I was thinking custom glass in different sections allowing me to use a small handle to remove parts when I need to work on the tank.
That could work . I have no experience with those, just the fixed place ones i found annoying - if it was sliding though it would solve all my problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Read through this thread since it's about the same topic. BTW search function is invaluable.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=562962

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode