Internal or external pump for Sump? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Internal or external pump for Sump?

Internal or external pump for Sump? What the pros/cons? I need something going to be very silent. That my main concern

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I prefer internal for a few reasons. I personally think they can be quieter since they will use the water for cooling while external pumps usually have a built in fan for cooling. In freshwater applications where you are not concerned with excessive heat the internal pump can help with heating of the water although some pumps put out more heat than others.
If you go with internal be sure the pump is isolated from the sump with rubber feet or a rubber mat that will prevent vibration noises. Also be sure the plumbing has at least some flexible tubing for the return to isolate vibrations.
Also internal pumps that develop any leaks will usually be contained in the sump while external will make a mess

Last edited by scubasmac; 03-01-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasmac View Post
I prefer internal for a few reasons. I personally think they can be quieter since they will use the water for cooling while external pumps usually have a built in fan for cooling. In freshwater applications where you are not concerned with excessive heat the internal pump can help with heating of the water although some pumps put out more heat than others.
If you go with internal be sure the pump is isolated from the sump with rubber feet or a rubber mat that will prevent vibration noises. Also be sure the plumbing has at least some flexible tubing for the return to isolate vibrations.
Also internal pumps that develop any leaks will usually be contained in the sump while external will make a mess
Good info, thanks so much. So many things to decide, I have been trying to decide for the last 6 months, now that I am ready to start buying stuff, I feel like I have not made any progress Do you have a sump now? If so what your design? I am also in NC. Raleigh area

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Algae Grower

My 120 is running a bean animal style overflow into an Aqueon Model 3 Proflex sump with an Eheim 1260 return. I've worked for nearly 2 years the get everything set up exactly like I wanted before I switched everything over from my 90.
I have a low tech Elos Mini the is running the stock sump and stock Eheim compact pump.
As you can tell I'm a big fan of sumps
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
My 120 is running a bean animal style overflow into an Aqueon Model 3 Proflex sump with an Eheim 1260 return. I've worked for nearly 2 years the get everything set up exactly like I wanted before I switched everything over from my 90.
I have a low tech Elos Mini the is running the stock sump and stock Eheim compact pump.
As you can tell I'm a big fan of sumps
Sump the way to go for sure, at least I think so as well I was thinking about going bean animal as well, the problem is I wanted the tank to be 84x24x30, but with bean animal I think that would make the tank stick out way more from the wall? I only have total of 25 1/2 for the tank and stand, which should work, if I do custom built tank.

How much room does the plumbing take? I would assume about 3 inches out from the wall? with internal bean animal?

I was also thinking I could do a full size overflow box in the middle of the tank with bean animal. 3 holes drilled for bean and then have 2 holes drilled for my return, would that work?

As for sump, I was thinking of 3 filter socks, refugium the size was going to be around 48x21x18.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

I got confused for a moment...my setup is actually Herbie style with only 2 overflow pipes. I wasnt restricted by space so mine is 8" from the wall. I used 2 45 degree elbows coming out of the bulkheads instead of a 90 for less restriction but that added to the total space. I also have 2 unions to allow for removal and cleaning. I went over the back for the return pipe so I only have 2 holes drilled in the glass.
I definitely like filter socks to catch the bulk of the debris. A refugium isnt necessary in my opinion on a fresh setup unless you wanted extra room for plants but I would think a tank that size would provide plenty of room WOW!
I think the only problem you may have is the space behind the tank. I like extra because I like to clean my back glass and room to maneuver back there.
This is just personal opinion but I don't like tanks over 24" tall. I can barely reach the bottom for planting at that height.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I got confused for a moment...my setup is actually Herbie style with only 2 overflow pipes. I wasnt restricted by space so mine is 8" from the wall. I used 2 45 degree elbows coming out of the bulkheads instead of a 90 for less restriction but that added to the total space. I also have 2 unions to allow for removal and cleaning. I went over the back for the return pipe so I only have 2 holes drilled in the glass.
I definitely like filter socks to catch the bulk of the debris. A refugium isnt necessary in my opinion on a fresh setup unless you wanted extra room for plants but I would think a tank that size would provide plenty of room WOW!
I think the only problem you may have is the space behind the tank. I like extra because I like to clean my back glass and room to maneuver back there.
Thanks for the info. Yeah that my biggest problem at this point trying to figure out if I need to go with smaller tank. I am thinking if I go with bean, I would need to go with tank that 84x21 rather than 24, maybe even 20, not sure, I have to ask the builder of the tank.

Do you think having one center overflow in the middle of the tank like I was talking would work? Then I could go right on the wall. as for refugium, yeah I figure I would add it if I have the room, incase I ever years from now wanted to try salt. Though might be more trouble than it worth. Do you have wet/dry as well on your sump?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

I think a center overflow will be fine. I have mine just off the back left corner and the return in the back right corner....so right at 3' to clean the surface from the right. With the return pushing mostly right to left it cleans very well. If you run a center overflow with 2 returns you could have 1 in each corner pushing things to the middle and toward the overflow which I think would be ideal.
Yeah my sump has 2 filter socks then spills over to a drip tray with filter floss and then the wet/dry... on through a sponge and then return. I also have the pump that powers my CO2 reactor in the return section with the outlet beside the return pump. This picks up the CO2 rich water and puts it in the tank with nearly no bubbles
Wish my tank was a tad shorter so I put a couple extra inches of substrate to make up the difference
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I think a center overflow will be fine. I have mine just off the back left corner and the return in the back right corner....so right at 3' to clean the surface from the right. With the return pushing mostly right to left it cleans very well. If you run a center overflow with 2 returns you could have 1 in each corner pushing things to the middle and toward the overflow which I think would be ideal.
Yeah my sump has 2 filter socks then spills over to a drip tray with filter floss and then the wet/dry... on through a sponge and then return. I also have the pump that powers my CO2 reactor in the return section with the outlet beside the return pump. This picks up the CO2 rich water and puts it in the tank with nearly no bubbles
Wish my tank was a tad shorter so I put a couple extra inches of substrate to make up the difference
Thanks for the info, that helps me a bit more. I think I am going to go with center overflow, with 3 holes so I can do the bean animal in it. This way I can still make the tank around 24 inches. Am also thinking maybe tanking the height down to 24, thinking 30, with 35 inch stand going to be a nightmare to work on.

I am thinking about going with the stand in the picture alone, and the canopy that in the other picture, though I would make the canopy taller, the top lid will flip open and I will also have doors on the front for easy access to feed so on.

Don't really want canopy, but since it going in living room, it must the wife says. ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand and canopy 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	281930  

Attached Images

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

Those are nice looking stands. I'm with you on the canopy. If it is tall enough then its not a problem working in the tank. My canopy is just like you describe....doors to feed and the front flips up to work inside. Just FYI my stand is 3' tall with 2' tank and 15" canopy that flips up will just barely clear an 8' ceiling....unless you have taller ceilings. Canopy's are great to control light spill which I think detracts from the tank inhabitants.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Those are nice looking stands. I'm with you on the canopy. If it is tall enough then its not a problem working in the tank. My canopy is just like you describe....doors to feed and the front flips up to work inside. Just FYI my stand is 3' tall with 2' tank and 15" canopy that flips up will just barely clear an 8' ceiling....unless you have taller ceilings. Canopy's are great to control light spill which I think detracts from the tank inhabitants.
Good info, do you find it hard to work in tank at that size? That what I am thinking as well 36 stand, 24 tank, and 12 ish for canopy. I am worried 30 will be a nightmare on the tank.

As for ceiling, it vault type, so we have no limits.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

I'm only 5'7" and its not a problem working on my tank from a 2 step stool. I would not want any deeper. I would definitely keep the stand at 36" tall since its at a better height for viewing. I might go a little taller than 12" on the canopy so you can raise lights higher to reduce par if need be....just depends on your goals. Extra canopy also gives more room to work
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm only 5'7" and its not a problem working on my tank from a 2 step stool. I would not want any deeper. I would definitely keep the stand at 36" tall since its at a better height for viewing. I might go a little taller than 12" on the canopy so you can raise lights higher to reduce par if need be....just depends on your goals.
Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Yeah only 5'11 here so, I am going to need step stool as well, if I go with 30 inch tank, I am also going to need scuba gear as well.

ha
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

I can help you out with that as well...lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode