Planted Turtle Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Planted Turtle Tanks

The jury is still out on how feasible and maintainable this is but I've been tasked with putting a tank together in our offices. Thought I'd asked this esteemed group of folks before wandering into turtle forums.

EDIT: We're talking about two Red Eared Sliders
I know the following:
  • There are plants that may work
  • The lighting isn't a problem
  • CO2 injection isn't much of a problem so as long as PH doesn't dip too far. Turtles don't breath undewater.

The things I don't know:
  • Does substrate matter for turlte health? Will they eat certain types of substrate? I know turtles are messy so surely one that doesn't showcase the poop would help
  • Does EI dosing (high nitrates) hurt turtles?
  • Is this a folly to even consider a planted tank LOL <-- half joking

I have considered cordoning off an area with plexiglass for the plants to grow untouched and provide a safe haven for fish, but I don't know how this will actually look.

Any input is welcome!

Last edited by STS_1OO; 02-28-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: More Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I might be a future turtle tank owner myself, my bro has a VERY crowded tank with 4 aquatic turtles (each one bigger than a tea saucer), and 2 fancy goldfish. All in a 75 gallon or so, and he never does water changes, just top offs. No plants, one hob filter. Yeah, I want to make their lives awesome.

But I plan on a riparium, maybe an indoor pond.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
My experience was my RES ate every single plant I tried. Water
Lilies, floaters, duckweed, frogbit, hydrocotle, Vallisneria, hygro, guppy grass, etc. he had plenty to eat in terms of guppies, and floating pellets, but always chowed down on the plants. My local turtle club also expressed the same experience. RES will eat plants. YMMV but the odds are against you.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've seen it done successfully, but I have to find that link for you. I remember the guy using a large tank with heavily planted Vals.

Have you considered riparium plants? http://ripariumsupply.com/ (just don't use the rafts with turtles, they will climb them and eat the plants. :P

Sand is a common and safe substrate with turtles and won't harm them if eaten.

I'll try to come back with more info. Till then, good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 26 year old red ear slider and I'm a regular on redearslider.com. I only recommend ever keeping no more than one indoors, they are best suited for large ponds like koi.

You'll need at least 50g per turtle. For two two adults your talking about a tank around 100 gallons. There is a good possibility they will fight when they reach maturity and the only remedy will be separation. You'll need a filter rated at 3x tank capacity. I use a Rena XP3 for my 55 gallon. Fluval FX6 are not uncommon among RES keepers.

More often then not plants don't work for them. I've had limited success with marimo balls, the rest of my plants are silk and even then they get chewed up. I feed him trimmings and frogbit from my planted tank. In the summers, ponds around the area fill up with anacharis, i buy them in bulk and toss them in the tank. They last a few months but eventually are all eaten. Same goes with feeder fish.

The only substrate are very fine ones, go with sand or leave it bare bottom. There is a danger of turtles eating gravel and getting an impaction which will results in death.

For proper lighting you'll need a source of heat and UVB. They will need a dry basking area heated to about 90 degrees.

Also look at smaller aquatic turtles like stink pots and mud turtles. They are much smaller and somewhat more plant friendly.

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode