Going on vacation for two weeks... should I worry? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going on vacation for two weeks... should I worry?

Hey everyone,

I am going on vacation for two weeks soon and I'm a bit nervous about my fish (not so much plants). Do people commonly go away for this long and not have any problems?

I have a 90G running two Fluval 406's. No CO2, medium light on a timer for around 7-8 hours per day. I have set up an Eheim automatic feeder that I am testing before I leave to make sure portions are within reason and there's no extra food in the tank.

I have to admit, my biggest concern is food. I have two Bolivian Rams, 1 apisto, and 5 sterbai cats which normally stick to the bottom half of the tank and do best with quickly sinking pellets/wafers. I have two growing angelfish and 5 boesemani (plus some tetras) that generally get to flake food before it makes it down to them. I will put some pellets in the feeder, but I'm not sure how they will fare. What do you think?

I am not that worried about water quality with my filtration over a two week period unless a fish were to die and decay in the tank. Does that sound reasonable? I normally do a 30% w/c every week, so I'm not sure how the water parameters are if I let it go for two.

Would love some advice and/or reassurances so I don't worry the whole time. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Have you tried to see if anyone can take care of them while you are gone? I might be going to Mexico for 3 weeks, but a friend of mine is going to take care of my fish. I just show them how much food to give each specific tank and to not over feed. I would recommend trying to find someone that you trust to take care of your fish as this has worked for me in the past.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
cut your light time down to about half, and say a prayer when you leave lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I work offshore and prior to having a terrific wife, had to leave my tanks for 14+ days once a month. With such a regular schedule I chose appropriate inhabitants that could take the departure from regular maintenance and the first/last days were always filled with aquarium related work. I imagine your fish will be fine, especially with the eheim auto feeders. I tried to have someone swing by after 7 days to overlook everything (luring them with free cable and eats was always easy) and I had that routine for a few years. Eventually I got rid of anything that was not an algae eater or larger predator that could go for a couple weeks without any attention, but I did have some things at first that required daily feedings and they survived well for over a year. If everything is set up correctly you'll be fine.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use autofeeders on my office tank and occasionally on my main home tank without issue. Fish are usually fairly hardy when it comes to feeding, I actually feed mine every other day without issue.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, everyone. I think I am going to have my brother come about half way through the trip and top off the water lost to evaporation (with dechlorinator that I'll leave out for him, of course) and feed my bottom feeders.

It's not a high tech CO2 tank so I'm not worried about algae explosions or anything if I leave the lights on their normal routine. I generally scrub some algae from the glass once every two weeks, anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode