Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Federal Way, WA
I had the same thing, and I got a school of six otos after the white stuff had grown pretty thick - they wouldn't touch it. My understanding is that the white stuff is not algae, but a fungus. Either way, after I scrubbed most of it off (not all, just got it a lot thinner), they seem to keep it from coming back and scrubbed it out of the nooks and crannies that my toothbrush couldn't reach. It's also possible that the white stuff just ran it's course, as it had been in the tank for a month and a half at the time. Either way, otos are great for planted tanks and will happily eat algae off of plants without damaging them.