good algae eater for a heavily planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
good algae eater for a heavily planted tank

I have some redmoor wood in my planted tank. I had read up on it beforehand- many people experienced white stuff coming out of the wood which is just exudates being released. Not harmful and will be eaten by fish. I thought id got away with this not happening to me as its been soaking for a couple of weeks now but appears I havent. I have a couple of cardinal tetra in there atm but they dont seem to pay any attention to it so I was thinking of getting a plec or alternative fish which will eat the stuff.

So any good recommendations considering I have a heavily planted tank? I obviously dont want a 'standard' plec (sorry dont know the species) that will just eat all my plants too and grow enormous over time. I read about the flying fox fish, would that work? And also, would shrimp eat it?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
my favorite algae eater is the Otocinclus Catfish. I also have a Siamese Algae Eater that got quite fat off.

what size tank?

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

I had the same thing, and I got a school of six otos after the white stuff had grown pretty thick - they wouldn't touch it. My understanding is that the white stuff is not algae, but a fungus. Either way, after I scrubbed most of it off (not all, just got it a lot thinner), they seem to keep it from coming back and scrubbed it out of the nooks and crannies that my toothbrush couldn't reach. It's also possible that the white stuff just ran it's course, as it had been in the tank for a month and a half at the time. Either way, otos are great for planted tanks and will happily eat algae off of plants without damaging them.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah i realise its not algae and stuff the wood is seeping out but i assumed a fish that scavenged for algae would probably eat it too.

i didnt think of using a toothbrush. Its in tiny little spaces i cant really reach with a scrubber and my wood has lots of spindly branches and also some moss attached which i didnt want to dislodge. i might try the toothbrush option.

my tank is 60x30x30cm, 54 litres. i googled that Otocinclus Catfish and like the look of it as well as the siamese algae eater, will have a look in fish shop next time i go.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
snails, otos, amano shrimp
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I had an oto and a sae. They both were great. Oto was really shy so you wouldn't see him much, the sae used to swim around and looked good. Be sure though to check how the patterns on a real sae look like. The other variants dont do a good job and get aggressive when they are older. My oto and sae lived for about 3 years. Neither had any fuss with each other and I did alot of pruning (crazy overstuffed tank).

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Hens and Chicks Plants >

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got 2 SAE and 1 Bristlenose pleco in my 90G. All three are constantly munching on something. I don't think the SAE do quite as much as other people, though I'm happy to have them. I like to watch my BN work around the glass, filter intake, leaves, etc. because you can literally see where he took off algae. I've had him for about 4-6 weeks and he has already grown considerably (a 2" fish suddenly released into a 90G...)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Amanos & Otos. This fuzz will eventually go away, will go quicker if you keep scrubbing it off. Mine stopped when I boiled it for an hour, use an old pot or your wife may hit you. Just turns brown and tannis will come out, this helped me get rid of the fuzz on my driftwood.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't see it suggested that often but I have a pair of rubber lip pleco's in my tank. They have stayed fairly small..under 3" which is around the max size for them I think. They are pretty entertaining at times and will chase each other around but not to the point of any destruction. I went with these guys after losing so many Otto's...great fish for planted but select them carefully. I have one that has been bullet proof, about a dozen others didn't make it and I quit replacing them but I want to try a few more again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
This fuzz will eventually go away, will go quicker if you keep scrubbing it off. Mine stopped when I boiled it for an hour, use an old pot or your wife may hit you. Just turns brown and tannis will come out, this helped me get rid of the fuzz on my driftwood.
This is why I thought Id gotten away with it. I kept them in very very hot water (not boiling but out tap goes really hot) for about a week. No tannins at all from the redmoor wood. Its odd that in the time under really hot water I had no white fuzz but a few days in 24 degrees and its started.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I also use a combo of nerites, Amanos, and Otos. The snails in particular are great at dealing with the algae that occurs right at the substrate line and is difficult to scrub without disturbing the substrate.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

someone say nerites
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
This is why I thought Id gotten away with it. I kept them in very very hot water (not boiling but out tap goes really hot) for about a week. No tannins at all from the redmoor wood. Its odd that in the time under really hot water I had no white fuzz but a few days in 24 degrees and its started.
its a fungus that appears every time you boil redmoor / pour really hot water on it.. whenever you kill all the good bacterias on redmoor the fungus appear and stays until the bacteria re-establish and outcompete the fungus
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Amanos and Snails
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiAi View Post
its a fungus that appears every time you boil redmoor / pour really hot water on it.. whenever you kill all the good bacterias on redmoor the fungus appear and stays until the bacteria re-establish and outcompete the fungus
I think the boiling is opening up the pours in the wood and facilitating the grow of the fungus. I would try H2O2. Remove the wood and spray it with H2O2(plastic spray bottle). Let it "cook" for 2 min. then return to the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode