Buying a used aquarium... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buying a used aquarium...

Hey all!

I was considering buying a used aquarium off someone from the classifieds but had some concerns and wanted some reassurances. The ad is as follows:

"We have a 4 foot aquarium and stand forsale, in perfect condition with no cracks and can hold water. We were just using it for one of our snakes but have upgraded to a rack system. Aquarium comes with a mesh lid, 4 foot lamp that goes ontop and a heat pad that is attached but can come off. Pick-up only, and its crazy heavy so you'll need atleast 2 strong people to carry the glass."

The dimensions were listed as : 48" x 16" x 24" (equates to 79g, so maybe a 75g high?)

Was told it was a hagen brand aquarium, I believe it has a centre brace(im assuming that is very important for a tank this size??) She assures me the stand can hold the weight when filled...

What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1620630_10151944931362401_416693526_n (1).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	281458  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I always low ball people for tanks. id offer $100, she will come back with $120. bam. profit
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol, Sean W.

I guess we may be cut from the same cloth in that department. She wanted $250 CAD.
I offered 125 as a O.B.O.
She messaged me tonight saying that she'd take it.

Do you see any issues I might have overlooked?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Only that it's a deep narrow aquarium. Great low tech tank, it'll make having it be a high tech tank a little more difficult, but not impossible. I'd ask for a top down picture to get a good view of the brace, I'd also ask for a few pictures of the top trim just to confirm it's an aquarium and not a terrarium, finally I'd ask for a close up shot of the corners to make sure they have silicone, another way of confirming it's a aquarium.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was going to use this as a low tech community tank, for my angelfish. Great tips for a pic of the brace, and the corners. In regards to the top down pic of the brace, am I looking for anything specific? or just to confirm it seems sturdy and thick?

Btw, crazy close guess on the sale price in your first post.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not really anything specific, just making sure there is one of some kind, a tank that tall requires one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I always low ball used tanks. Paid $80 for my 55 w/ stand, 3 sets(both sides) of hoods, and a huge hob. Other two 55s I got for free just for hauling them off. Just bought 20Lx2 & a 10g for $10 total a few weeks back! Check the silicon really closely if it's ever had rodents in it as they like to chew... I always just look the tanks over pretty well when I'm buying them. Only had one tank so far that didn't hold water. It was one of the free 55s but I knew when he gave them to me that this tank had been used for feeder mice.

RAOK Club #24
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Planted Member

Looks like a good deal. Snake and other reptile tanks are good bets as long as you make sure that they are actually full strength aquariums meant to hold water and not the glass reptile enclosures that are not built to spec to hold water (thinner glass to keep down costs).

Also, I stay clear of tanks that were used to house rodents. When I was a youngster, I kept gerbils for years in a 29. Tank went into storage after I got sick of my room smelling like cedar chips and urine. Few years later I went to fill it up and it started leaking from one of the seams. I drained the tank and noted that the gerbils had gnawed away the majority of the silicone beads that were withing their reach.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
As long as it is a fish aquarium, I would check the seams as others said. Tanks are very easy to reseal though as long as you research doing it. I have gotten a few leaky tanks and fixed them. Got a 90 gallon for free, resealed it and have had it 10 years now no issues.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
I used to breed rodents before getting into shrimp, and almost always the silicone is chewed away inside. A quick seal of silicone again, wait for it to cure, and you are good to go. The connections between panels can't be touched by the teeth.

The only probs I've had with aquariums were the old ones with dried out silicone joints.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just to point out - I bet that is a 90g (a higher 75). I bet the true dimensions are 48x18x24.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Check the glass thickness, lots of sites have guides as to what thickness it should be, that will help determine if it is an aquarium vice glass enclosure. 4x2 front panel should be at least 3/8 inch.

My personal experience is to always ask to see tank hold water, unless you are good with perhaps needing to reseal it. This will show if it leaks, plus you can check if the glass bows, indicating the bracing is broken or not secure.

My rule of thumb is never pay more than $1 per gallon. Generally works.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 AM

Do a 24-48hr water test outside before giving it the green light. Then wash it out for bleach. There are some funky things that can come along with rodents and reptiles. I picked up a 10g that was used to house baby birds. I had a suspicion that something got into the silicone that killed all the shrimp I was keeping.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, ill put them to good use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode