new stand options? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
new stand options?

I am having custom built 265 gallon tank.

What should I have the stand built out of? I am thinking oak? I want something that going to last a long time and a hard wood as compared to pine. We will be going with a dark stain such as espresso. Budget I am not worried about.

Also anything you wish you would have done for your stand as an after thought, oh that would have been nice?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do not have a actual stand dedicated for my fishtank.... but I would say cabinets... there are cabinets under the counter my fishtank is on but, I think specially made cabinets like one slide draw for foods, a big open cabinet space for a canister filter... I think you get the picture..

Just something I would think of.

: )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Doig
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I opted for steel, with acrylic shelves. I didn't want the physical and visual bulk of a wooden stand, basically a large piece of furniture. Wanted the tank to appear to "hover." no concerns about steel supporting that kind of weight, either. I know some people like everything concealed behind cabinet doors, which is obviously reasonable, but I opted for an open and industrial look.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL_RIP View Post
I opted for steel, with acrylic shelves. I didn't want the physical and visual bulk of a wooden stand, basically a large piece of furniture. Wanted the tank to appear to "hover." no concerns about steel supporting that kind of weight, either. I know some people like everything concealed behind cabinet doors, which is obviously reasonable, but I opted for an open and industrial look.
Since this tank is going in the main area of our house, have to keep wife happy she wants to make it match everything else.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is what I am thinking of going with, the color will be darker, and the canopy will also be higher with doors on the front, the lid will flip up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	281226  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I found it best to just build a stand if you have a particular look your going for, as its the best way to get what you really want. Not only that, but most of the commercial stuff I see out there is a LOT of particle/cheap wood that I wouldnt trust.

I just built one myself the last few weeks and I was rather impressed on how much interest I had in doing so (this is the first real "furniture" item ive built) and how fun/rewarding it was! I also opt'd for the expresso stain and I was rather surprised at how amazing it came out. We dubbed it "African Tigerwood!" lol, but this effect was just from the variable absorbency of the plywood panels and I LOVED it. Also its built on 4x4s and 2x4s and could probably hold up a car!

Anyways just some food for thought. At least you can see what expresso stain looks like on some items (BTW lighting inside my house makes it look darker then it is)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post

]
I see you stained your dog too!! Hahahaha!

Nice looking stand & sweet tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I see you stained your dog too!! Hahahaha!

Nice looking stand & sweet tank!
Thanks! Been weeks getting this tank setup and way, way too much $$! But at least i saved some$$ on the stand and learned alot, including how to stain dogs! Hehe ;P
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
This is what I am thinking of going with, the color will be darker, and the canopy will also be higher with doors on the front, the lid will flip up.
Fishstix, +2 on the door on the front with the lid flipping up.
I have built four different designs, and that is by far,the most utilitarian, functional!

Here is the canopy on my 65H. It has a piano hinge on the top front.
You cannot see it. Canopy top is 6' 3" off the floor.[IMG][/IMG]
There are wood slides on the sides, to allow the canopy to be slid back against the wall for great maintenance access.
[IMG][/IMG]

The whole stand/canopy package. Stand is built with 2" X 2", and 1" X 2" square steel tubing.
[IMG][/IMG]

125 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everone for the info so far, anyone have ideas on wood type? I was thinking maple, but heard it difficult to stain dark?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If money is not really an object... black walnut, or cherry. Little to no staining needed with either of these. Maple looses most of its luster if it's stained dark.

I would go with oak however. It holds a stain very well and you can easily get plywoods. Plywood is extremely strong and can take a lot of weight if supported properly.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Removable panels. It's so much easier to work under the stand when you aren't cramped into a little door. And lighting inside the stand so you can see what is going on under there when you need to.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
A built in electrical center with a cover door on the side of the stand.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
All suggestions would of course be dependent upon your skills as a woodworker. Over 200 gallons I'd be partial to a metal stand. I personally don't care for the cabinet stand. you could build a metal stand for the support if you're good with welding and cover it with 1/2" cabinet grade ply. Then I'd look at places like Woodcraft that sell specialty veneers. You can get some really nice woods that just aren't available in most lumber yards. And when they are they cost you your first born. Veneering is a centuries old technique. You can get some nice burl wood. Many different woods are available as a veneer but not as a plywood or solid wood. And they take stain just fine.

One of the drawbacks of the hardwood plywoods are the way they are cut. Your BBS isn't going to have the quartersawn veneer only the rotary cut stuff. If you don;t mind the cathedral grain look of the rotary cut then there's no issue. If you want quarter sawn with all the rays and flecks your OOL

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode