Downsizing tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Downsizing tanks

Most people it seems eventually upgrade their tanks. But, I might be downsizing mine, and that makes me wonder is this something a lot of people have done for one reason or another?

I had a 56 gallon column tank awhile back, which is 30x18x24, and downsized to a 40 breeder. I really liked the size of the tank, and got it for a good price (was 209 bucks on black friday). But the height of it was just much too difficult to work with to plant, trim, etc.

How about you guys?

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-26-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
To me small nano style tanks (under 5 gal.) are less of a hassle and if you want to move them to another spot you can easily do so. I use to have 125's, 80's, 40's ...............
Nano's only for me now

The Fraternity of Dirt #70
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I don't have much of a problem with moving tanks due to their size... I have easily moved both the 40 breeder and the 56 from one room to the other.

Only hassle to me with bigger sized tanks, is scaping. Smaller tanks for me are much more appealing for trying to get a good looking aquascape. For me 30 inches and smaller is easier.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Planted Member

I am working on a upgrade from a 75 to a 180 i like the bigger tanks due to their stability small ones seem to flux too much
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Algae Grower

I first got a 37g (a taller 29g) for $10 used. Had that for years. Tall and narrow, a real pain to work with and deal with in general. But the thing never leaked.

Then got a 45g SW tank, also a tall narrow tank. Got it used as a complete setup. Also a pain to work with and deal with in general.

When my parents moved out of their house, I had to remove the tanks. My mom kept the angelfish and moved them up to the 45g. Works for angels. I moved the SW fish and rock out of the 45g into a 20L (temporarily) and then to a 40B.

That 40B is frickin awesome. You can aquascape it, work in it without a stepstool and not get your armpit wet, and honestly it looks a lot bigger than the tall 45g. I think it gives the fish more room too - aside from angels, there aren't a lot of fish that really need a lot of height.

I would never go back to a tall narrow tank again. Next setup is going to be the 20L as a planted tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode