how heavily planted is my 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how heavily planted is my 10g

I am wondering if I can start to relax a little on maintenance of my 10g. it has a whisper 2-10i internal filter. I change 2-4 gallons per week depending on the amount of waste I see. plants are tied to rocks mostly that I pull up and vac well. stocked with 5 platys, 1 male betta, and 1 ghost shrimp. I know I am more or less overstocked but I'm not new to fish. I haven't tried plants in like 15 years and I don't know why its working out now. never could keep them alive before. I don't use ferts or co2 and it is a low tech setup

I have 12 stems of anacharis I added about 10 days ago and is growing pretty well.

1 anubias nana. not very big with 6 leaves

30 or so baby java fern with leaves ranging from mostly 1.5 inch with a few around 2.5-3 inches.

about 1/3 of the surface is covered in duckweed. I keep it in check with a piece of air hose stretched the width of the tank with suction cups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
IMO, I feel like I can relax on maintenance if I measure nitrate levels and they are not rising much, if at all (only if ammonia and nitrite are at 0 of course). All that duckweed and anacharis seems like it would make a difference to me, but only the tests would tell. Many of my tanks stay at 0-5 nitrates because of the plants, and so I do water changes on them infrequently.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have a 10 gallon heavily planted with a dirt substrate and pfs cap set up since September. In the beginning i did many water changes. This tank has a dual sponge filter only as filtration. I haven't done a water change in this tank in months. I simply top of the water as it evaporates. and scoop the salivinia minima off as it covers the top of the tank in a week. But personally as you have anarchis as your fastest growing plant i would keep up with water changes as your water test results show you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I base my water changes on a few things

I keep my TDS between 300-350
Nitrate around or below 40ppm

I only do water changes when those numbers increase, sometimes it is a week, other 2 weeks. Then I only do water changes to get my numbers back to where I want them. It took awhile to get everything dialed it, but once I did, maint became a lot less to deal with. The tanks just get topped off weekly until they need a change. During the winter I don't run my r/o system as much so my nitrates stay a bit higher during this season.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Most of the plants you listed are not very fast growing. I would agree with the advice to keep testing and keep up with your water changes.

Making videos about fish stuff, and fixing things:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

how heavily planted is my 10g

See I keep apistos so my tds never reaches above 200, I do a water change on those tanks at that high of a reading. Even my heavily planted 10 I never do water changes on stays below 100tds

This tank only has tiger endlerS and Pygmy cories and a couple shrimp

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was just reading something about people not vaccuming out their planted tanks and just doing pwc. I got curious if I am taking out too much of nutrients by vaccing out all the excess.

I know I have mostly slow growers that don't use up the nutrients as fast. my java fern seems stunted though for some of the babies only maybe 3 inches tall and they are 5 months old. my anubias doesn't do much either and I have had it for 6 months. most of the rhizome has rotten away except for the one end that had all the growth.

I'm going to the lfs later this week and picking up another species. don't know what yet though.

that I am doing okay with live plants so far I will never go back to fake ones at this point.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also thanks for the info. I don't have a test kit but my lfs is a 2 minute drive. when I take a trip down there later in the week for another plant I will get it tested and see how my routine is working out. the only thing I have lost in the tank is 3 ghost shrimp but that is from them molting and getting attacked. weren't any hiding places when I first got them.

tattooedfool- nice tank. I hope mine end up looking that nice when they fill in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

It will man. Get fast growing plants. Thanks by the way. Easiest tank ever right there

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

weird as I had another reply and it didn't seem to post. sorry if it double posts

I was curious originally because I read that people don't really vac their planted tanks and I feel I have quite a bit of plant life in this 10g. I am also using to grow out some plants to add to my 55 planted community I am working on.

need to upgrade the lighting and get the pond goldfish out of there and outside again when it warms up some more. they have been keeping it cycled since I had to restart my 55 due to a columaris outbreak that wiped out my firemouths.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode