Water containing chloramine as a plant disinfectant? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water containing chloramine as a plant disinfectant?

I'm thinking of keeping my new plants in a quarantine rubbermaid full of undechlorinated tap water for a while to disinfect them, but I'm not sure how effective or safe for the plants that would be. I know that my tap water company uses chloramine to keep the water clean, and that chloramine doesn't dissolve out. If I were to put some aquarium plants in a container of regular tap water with chloramine in it and quarantine them in that water for an extended period of time, would that kill off hitch hikers, snail eggs, parasites, etc? Would the plants be able to tolerate the chloramine for extended periods of time? If that would work, how long should I keep the plants in that water for before it begins to affect them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use untreated tap water with chloramine in it in plant only tanks all the time. It does not kill anything at all. The snails don't seem to mine. The algae don't seem to mind.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You are giving far too much weight to the chloramine killing ability. While it does kill some bacteria to keep the diseases down in drinking water, it is far too hyped as killing things. Keep in mind that it is very limited in drinking water. Otherwise you would kill all the bacteria in your stomach that makes your digestive system work. Think of what happens when you drink too much alcohol and kill the bacteria? Next day is not pleasant.
It is not nearly strong enough to eat through the hard shells of snails to kill them.
You will need a much stronger dose of chlorine or other dips.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Otherwise you would kill all the bacteria in your stomach that makes your digestive system work. Think of what happens when you drink too much alcohol and kill the bacteria? Next day is not pleasant.
That is not why you feel terrible after a night of (heavy) drinking.

But back on topic, as a disinfectant, you are better off using a dilute solution of bleach, a potassium permanganate dip or an alum dip.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
[QUOTE=Darkblade48;5397922]That is not why you feel terrible after a night of (heavy) drinking.

So why do you have diarrhea after drinking too much? Is it not because your digestion is not working right?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode