Thoughts on planting a goldfish tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thoughts on planting a goldfish tank

Hi guys!
I have had a gold fish tank for almost a year now. The tank does not look very good and natural with fake plastic plants and colored gravel. I planted my 5.5 gallon beta tank and it looks very nice and natural. Could I plant my goldfish tank? Or will the goldfish rip up the plants? Oh and I have the stream lined single tail gold fish by the way.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's my understanding that goldfish eat plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
It depends on the goldfish's appetite. There are some plants that some goldfish seem not to eat, but other goldfish will eat. You could purposely grow plants like elodia and duckweed separately, then furnish the tank so your fish can eat it.

Here is an example of someone who was able to figure out plants her goldfish weren't interested in eating: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...649&highlight=

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a successful Goldfish tank with Java Fern. Other plants have been eaten.
The other problem is digging. Some Golds dig more than others. Using plants that grow attached to driftwood or rocks will work, or growing plants in pots with larger pebbles on the surface.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depends on the goldfish. I had luck with anubis and melon swords when I kept them. Lots of other plants got eaten including java ferns and moss.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've been keeping goldfish and plants together for about 6 years. My fave are Anubias. Buce also work as will: Vals, crypts, swords, hornwort and several others. But there are 2 important things to remember when planting with goldfish. (1) Plant heavy, it spreads out the abuse and prevents goldfish from focusing on one or two plants. (2) All goldfish are different and some will eat all of one plant, but won't touch another. Last of all, it helps if you can start the plants in a tank before placing in goldfish, however, this is not 100% necessary.
Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
So long as the water isn't too chilly (>70F) riparium plants can be good choices for a goldfish setup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I keep swords, crypts and dwarf water lettuce in my tank =]

Im a big believer in feeding your fish a hefty well balanced diet.
If i neglect to feed my fish enough they start in on the plants but if i remember to feed them multiple times a day or leave veggies in the tank to munch on all day they do minimal damage to the plants. They do seem to have their favorites but in general they leave the plants alone.

I also agree with hydrophyte, goldfish have big bioloads and over feeding doesnt help, having terrestrial plants/ riparium plants will help filter out nitrates =]

I have a special filter that grows terrestrial plants and filters out nitrate, my nitrates now stay in general with regular water changes 10-15ppms.

Believe me it can be done!
Good luck!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I call my goldfish the destroyer of worlds because it loves nothing more then to constantly unroot every plant i have thats not tied down or weighted heavily with plant anchors. It was won at the fair by my kids 10 years ago and was what started it al for me, so i cant just get rid of him. But i can get a away with camboba, and bacopa ok but hygrophila augustifolia and java ferns seem the least susceptible to his daily plunderings
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Forgot to mention, I also have riparium plants with my goldfish. I have: red and black mangrove, papyrus, hibiscus, and canna.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Algae Grower

I couldn't even keep plastic plants in with my comets. The fish would dig up and play with anything less than their own body weight. Sigh. Loved my goldfish and their mischievous personalities, but boy were they a maintenance hassle.

I never thought to try a riparian setup with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode