Aquatic Delights Offical Post Moving Thread/Story! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Aquatic Delights Offical Post Moving Thread/Story!

for any one who didn't know i recently moved fro San Antonio Texas to Melbourne Florida with 5 tanks, that is over 1,200 miles, in a 27ft rental truck towing a car behind it.

it was quite a challenge, but we made it rather safely. so lets get right to it, heres how i moved all of 5 tanks, including livestock, taking a total of 6 days to tear down all 5 tanks and put all 5 back together, while only losing two fish.

so here are all of my tanks before tear down and move

my first challenge was figuring out how i was going to safely move everything, i had already downsized from 11 tanks to 5 in prepperation for the move. after thinking about it for sometime, i remembered that when i bought my stand for my hillstream tank it came wrapped in plastic wrap with very strong rounded cardboard covering the corners. so i thought that set-up would work well for protecting the glass.

i must have called 10 different places looking for that cardboard, and no one had it. finally a girl a officemax said, yeah we have that! so i drove out there and she walked me back to where it was supposed to be, but it wasn't there...she claimed they must have stopped carrying it.

i ended up at Lowes to buy the plastic wrap, and asked the guys if they any boxes i could use to cut up, and protect the corners.

special thanks at this point to my dad for helping me pack up my tanks, there is no way i could have finished it with out his help. he stayed up till after midnight with me.

my only mistake was not taking the same care with my 10g Tangerine Tiger/RCS/ Fry Grow out tank. all i did was drain nearly all of the water out.

my next larger problem was transporting all of my fish. My biggest concern was my hillstream loaches, i had already lost half of my population while i was working in florida for 3 weeks. but while looking on Aquabid for kordon bags i found a guy offering larger bags than i had seen anyone else selling. my thought being the bigger the bag, the more water it would hold, and the longer the fish would be okay in the bag. i had no idea how big the bags were really going to be....it was waaay to big, or just the right size, depending on how you look at it.

also to make the transition easier, i planned on bring as much tank water as i could because i didn't know what my water was going to be like when i got there. i later found it it was terrible, sulfur water with super high iron content, pretty terrible. the water softener wasn't set up and running, for tanks it was a terrible situation and not what i was expecting to walk into. i assumed that the water would at least be usable for even drinking, but it wasn't even drinkable.

anyway, i bought a couple extra jugs just to be safe, i wish i had bought more.

fast forward through some boring packing and catching fish. and here we are everyone is bagged up, plants in their own styrofoam box.

fish in their own bags (remember the giant bags i mentioned?)

i forgot to take a photo of the truck packed up, but it was full. my fishtanks and equip took up a 1/4th of the truck.

to be safe i put funiture covers under all of my tanks, and even put them between the tanks and anything else that might be next to them. which worked greatly for the tanks i put the pads under or around. this is where we come to my one mistake.

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

at some point on the first day, my 10g Tangerine tiger/red cherry/ fry grow out tank broke. the bottom exploded, it was my own fault, i didn't wrap the tank, i didn't put anything under it. for those that don't know I-10 through Houston and through basically all of Louisiana is like driving an old western wagon, bouncy bouncy bouncy.

shockingly i was able to save almost all of my TT population, including three berried females, about 10-15 rcs, and the most shocking of all, my Gardneri fry was still alive! i couldn't believe it. they now all live in my hillstream tank, and so far its working okay, but i have the fear that my shrimp will slowly be eaten by some of the fish in that tank :-(. i didn't have anywhere else to put them, and i had no other option.

beyond that everything survived just fine, except the stand for my crayfish tank, it was on its last leg anyway, and wasn't really a fish tank stand. but i lucked out, and my friend here had a tv stand they had planned on giving me, so i was able to use my now old tv stand for a tank stand!

not the permanent solution, i plan on building a stand for it, but for now it works.

sorry this photo sucks but its all together i don't like the set up, but its going to require a full tear down to fix and i'm feeling lazy right now.

i also took the moving opportunity to get ride of the flourite, that now matter how many times i washed it it still clouded the water, and i replaced it with beach sand.

i am slowly replacing the plants with stuff i pull out of local waters here.

and finally since my move my crayfish has been slightly unhappy with me, and has eaten 4 of the 5 brilliant rasboras that he had been living with for over a year. i'm rather sad about the whole thing.

I'm glad that the move is over, it was surreal moving with everything i own behind me. i've only been here a couple weeks, but i still think that i will be going back to texas one day. but its just not the case. I am very lucky to have second family here that made the move possible, and are continuing make sure that me and my girlfriend are situated. i could not have dreamed up a better situation to move into.

Will

on Facebook.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice packing job! All in all I think you fared pretty well for such a long move. I'm surprised the 10g blew the bottom out. Even more surprised you caught it in time to save most of the shrimp.

The roads in Houston didn't seem too bad. That may be because it was rush hour when we went through! Complete deadlock. How did you like driving that truck through the tunnel in Houston? There isn't much wiggle room lol.

Now LA is another story! Those roads are horrible. We had the same setup as you pulling a car. Stopped for fuel in Mississippi and noticed our bumper was starting to come off. Those bumps in LA were brutal. We ended up swapping our tow dolly for a trailer to get the car off the ground in Mississippi. Took forever to find one so we ended up staying that night. I said I would drive straight through but was actually too tired to continue. This was a good excuse to stop and I didn't have to admit defeat lol.

Welcome back to Florida!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Nice packing job! All in all I think you fared pretty well for such a long move. I'm surprised the 10g blew the bottom out. Even more surprised you caught it in time to save most of the shrimp.

The roads in Houston didn't seem too bad. That may be because it was rush hour when we went through! Complete deadlock. How did you like driving that truck through the tunnel in Houston? There isn't much wiggle room lol.

Now LA is another story! Those roads are horrible. We had the same setup as you pulling a car. Stopped for fuel in Mississippi and noticed our bumper was starting to come off. Those bumps in LA were brutal. We ended up swapping our tow dolly for a trailer to get the car off the ground in Mississippi. Took forever to find one so we ended up staying that night. I said I would drive straight through but was actually too tired to continue. This was a good excuse to stop and I didn't have to admit defeat lol.

Welcome back to Florida!
it was pretty rough driving through houston, and all of my tank stuff was at the very back of the truck, so i'm sure it was really bouncy. it was the first part of the trip where i was in curvy roads, and highway speeds, i didn't drive very well through there. but it didn't break through houston. LA was rough too. we got detoured off the highway in LA because of construction, an 18-wheeler did a uturn in front of us, and i had to slam my brakes, i'm pretty sure that was when the tank let go, it was about 30mins to an hour before we stopped for the night.

i understand why the trucker did it, no one gives you any space, or lets you in. people ride in your blind spot. it sucks driving a big vehicle like that, i tried to be patient the whole trip, but i gave up. I started driving like A-hole everyone was driving like. i have no regrets.

always looking on the bright side, i like it, blame the car for stopping!

Will

on Facebook.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You did a great job packing and moving all those tanks! They look even better now that there reset up.

Betta sorority--25 Cube tank

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode